cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PICTURE FREEZES withg TiVo

Ian00
Tuning in

The cause of this problem has been found by me. Every 6 hours the TiVo makes a timed connection to a Virgin Media Server. and live, recorded and recorded video freezes. Virgin have not figured this out yet. It needs the server software debugged.

What is worse some times the STB will crash leaving a standby box on. The guide menu is blank (fixable), the favourites are deleted ( not fixable).

Temporary fix. Do a manual connection.

press HOME| Help & settings | settings| network | Connect to Virgin Media and watch the page till it says loading 1%

It may take up to 1 hour. When finished repeat until loading runs through from 1% to 99% in less than 5 mins. Then do a hard reboot by switching the power off at the back of the box for 30 secs. Eeeevvvvveeennntually the Guide menu will re-populate.

So far I can't get the favourites to reload. Would VM please store these on the server and reload them on each reconnection please.

I have had engineers out previously tightening connections to no avail. Can't talk to a call centre now. Any engineers out there?

Ian

10 REPLIES 10

Stumac1980
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Please PM me with your account number and area reference and I can take a look at this for you.
Thanks,
Stuart
I am a Virgin Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some kudos.

Ian00
Tuning in

Hello Stuart,

what does PM mean?

[REMOVED] & 26

Have you got a reply from California when they can fix the bug? Does it need a more powerful processor?

I don't read my email often, sorry.

Ian

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please do not post your account details or personal details in public. This information can be used by anyone including criminals to take over your account and used you can be billed for activity on the account.

The post has been removed.

Please make sure you only send the private details to VM staff in private messages. Also, verify the person you message is a VM staff member

Ho w do I personal message Stuart, a service engineer?

Hi Ian00,

If you click on his profile name to open up his profile, there's a button on the right in red where you can send him a message 🙂

Regards,

Lisa

Hello all. finally spoke to VM. Yes the fix is to get a V6. So is that a confirmation that the TiVo is un-fixable.

Just have to loose all my 250 Mb of video.That may take some time. Does any one know if asking for a V6 will cost me any thing now or latter.

Regards Ian

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo is quite capable of performing these updates, but the symptoms you've described are a perfect example of your box just being faulty/elderly/tired (delete as appropriate).

Any box-swap will mean your recordings get lost, that's unfortunately just how these things work. You need to report your box as faulty with VM directly, and if you have VM broadband then there's a reasonable chance they'll replace it with a V6.

Unlike the TiVo with its hardwired internet connection, the V6 relies on your homehub to go online - hence the requirement.

I don't know what you have recorded, but all of the terrestrial channels (and many of the pay ones) have 30day HD-catchup now - so the ability to watch what you did have recorded, via VOD, is as good as it's ever been.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. E,g, I lost a series of VEEP on Sky Comedy HD. This channel  was removed from my package after only 2 months. 4 episodes were recorded and are now locked out, The rest of the series was not recorded.  We had no warning of the channel being pulled or recordings were stopped, and no automatic switching to standard definition!

That is only one example. Are any more channels like;y to be pulled?.

Thanks, Ian

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which package are you on?

Normally when channels stop broadcasting, recordings are still accessible for a period of time. If you change TV package, or the channel was part of a promotion, then the recordings are indeed inaccesible once it stops being part of your package. I know Sky Comedy was part of a promotional free-to-view earlier this year, I'm not sure off-hand about the HD version - but I have a suspicion this is what may have happened.

As for whether other channels are likely to disappear, there's only 2 things guaranteed in life.... but we're not likely to know whether any of VM's carriage agreements are due for renewal soon.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks