Menu
TwistyBeard
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Only recording part of a film.

I've a fairly new TiVo box, and I use it mainly for recording films, with just one series link.

I have just been through my films and 12 out of 38 have not been recorded from the beginning. The amount of film actually recorded varies, but one only had the last 10 minutes. So between 20 and 90 minutes missing from a film makes them pretty un-watchable.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on? It's got me scratching my head. 

Thanks in advance. 

(btw I've already done the obvious stuff)

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only recording part of a film.

Hi if it's only happens on recordings (try looking at some live TV) to see how that is if that is okay then it's possible that you have a fault with the hard drive, I would phone and go down the Tv faults route they can check the levels while you are on the line and if necessary arrange for an engineer to come to you and adjust or replace your box. Regards Micky
Forum Team (Retired) Rebecca_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey TwistyBeard, 

Thanks for getting in touch and Welcome to the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your recordings. 

I've located your account using your Forum details and tried to run some diagnostics but we're not getting any response from the box at the moment. If the box is currently switched off, could you let me know once the box is powered on? If not, could you restart the box and let me know once you've done this? I'll run the diagnostics again then. 

Speak soon 

Rebecca 

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

TwistyBeard
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's switched on now, I've already restarted the box. It was the first thing I thought of.

I had to do this before when I couldn't delete a programme from my series link once I'd watched it. I don't think it's related to what's happening now. But when I went to delete it, I got the spinning symbol and after a moment it just returned to the programme folder and the episode was still there and watchable. A restart cured it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi TwistyBeard,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've checked your account again and can't see any issues with he signal levels or the hard drive on the box at the moment. 

Is it only the beginning of the recording that is missing on each of the 12 films? Are you experiencing any issues with the quality of the recording in terms of the picture or sound? Could you also try going to Home > My Shows & Recordings > Recording Hiccups and see if any of the films are showing in there? 

Let me know how this goes. 

Take care 

Rebecca 

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi apart from the help Rebecca_G has given you, its bad practice to switch these boxes off they are designed to be taking data all the time so that your programme guide is fully up to date, this may be one of the problems with recordings failing, also virgin add channels and update data in the early hours of the morning when there are less viewers. Regards Micky
TwistyBeard
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rebecca and Micky

I've checked the hiccup folder and the films are in there, but only because I have now deleted them. If I restore them they are still missing the beginning of the film.

It's only the beginning of the film that is missing in each case. The only difference is the length of time that is missing. 

I don't switch the power off, I just put it on standby. The only time I have switched it off is to restart the box as suggested in the forum with regards to not being able to delete a programme. Which worked for that issue. 

Thanks peeps

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey TwistyBeard, 

It sounds like the Overlap Protection may be switched off at the moment which could be causing this to happen. You can check this using the information [here] and this should resolve the issue for you. 

Let us know how this goes and if you need any further help, just give us a shout. 

Take care 

Rebecca 

Forum Team

TwistyBeard
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. I'll set it up to record a few films and see how it goes. Cat Very Happy

0 Kudos
Keef47
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’m having the same problem my TiVo box on a regular basis only records part of a film 

0 Kudos