cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On demand rentals freezing

sambrook
Tuning in

Hi - on demand movie rentals have started freezing every 10 seconds. Never had a problem before - now happening on all movie rentals. Have restarted the TIVO box and the router but makes no difference....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sambrook,

Thank you for your response. I'm very sorry to hear that the Virgin Media Store team were unable to refund you for the rental movies. I understand that this is not ideal. We would advise you contact the team again if you can to see if you can discuss this further with them.

Please keep us updated on how your services are after the 11th January and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you definitely have a TiVo and not a V6? If you're not sure, check here - it matters because the internet connectivity which is used for OnDemand, differs. And if you have a TiVo, your box isn't using your router for OnDemand so resetting that is quite literally, pointless.

Secondly - there's no technical difference between movies OnDemand and any other OnDemand, it's the same service being used. So the next obvious check is to check whether you have a problem with all OnDemand services.

If you're not sure, please try - find a programme in the TV Guide that has "Watch from CatchUp" available.. not a BBC one please, that uses an app whch adds extra complication. Any other channel you fancy, it makes no odds - does this have the same problem?

Pop back once you've confirmed the box you have and whether all VoD is affected, and we can advise you further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes it's definitely a TIVO box - and no problems with Netflix, iPlayer or other catch up services

Many thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If other VoD services are working ok, that proves the TiVo's in-built internet connection as probably ok. Do you get any flashing LEDs on the front-left of your TiVo when you have problems? The heartbeat light is the status indicator and it flashes when the connection fails.

If the problem was happening on specific films I'd gladly say this was a programme-specific fault and ask for specifics. But if it's on all assets, then this can best be described as illogical.

Other users might have some ideas, but for now I'll have to ponder a little more.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks - all other VOD services fine, no flashing lights...

sambrook
Tuning in

I'm afraid I've been getting a little difficult with your Twitter reps who have sent me here. I have spent three days trying to get an answer to my questions.

1) I have rented two movies from the Virgin Media Store (one premium) that won't play because they keep freezing. Having gone past the 48 hour mark and been unable to watch I would like a refund.

Virgin Media repson phone told me to call Virgin Media Store. Virgin Media Store said it was a billing issue for Virgin Media...who said I should call Virgin Media Store....who again told me it was Virgin Media not them to deal with it. Who is responsible and how do I get a refund?

2) The Virgin Media phone rep said the likely explanation for rentals freezing was ongoing upgrading work in my area due to finish on Jan 11th at 12.30pm (Very precise!) He said I would be eligible to the statutory daily compensation for the days that functionality was affected and to check the customer care service check website. I have and it says nothing is wrong, no issues noted (so presumably no compensation). Is there a problem or isn't there? How do I find out? I'm not really bothered about compensation - just a straight answer would be nice. 

The customer service reps (one hung up on me and I was still polite, not even tetchy at that stage!) have given up and referred me here....

Three days, 7 calls, a dozen social media messages, and about 100 automated phone options - it must be the new 12 days of Christmas.... 🙂 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've merged your new, duplicate post with your existing thread. Just by means of advice on forum etiquette (and the forum rules) users are asked to not post the same question in more than one question - hence my merging it.

This is primarily a community forum where the first responders are often other users (myself included) rather than VM staff. If support from experienced peers has failed to resolve or is otherwise unsuitable, VM staff often respond after a few days.

Your query is currently one of those, unless any other users come up with alternate suggestions in the meantime. As per my previous responses, your fault symptoms aren't following any "logic" thus far so there's no immediate solution. Wait here, please be patient and the staff team should be along.

Hi sambrook, thanks for messaging via the forums. I have looked into the outage and can see that there is congestion in the area and the fault reference number is F008747262, this is estimated to be resolved on the 11th January. This is hard to diagnose and the engineers will be working to fix this as soon  as they can. 

In regards to the Virgin Media store purchase, this can only be seen by them and they would be the ones whom provides the refund. They can be contacted on 0800 027 0801.

Chris

Many thanks Chris. Virgin Store strenuously deny its anything to do with them and say any refund has to be dealt with by service billing. Frankly I have grumpily given up as I have now been round this circle several times with no-one accepting responsibility. I’ll write off the £25 and just warn others about it! (And fingers crossed for Jan 11th!)

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sambrook,

Thank you for your response. I'm very sorry to hear that the Virgin Media Store team were unable to refund you for the rental movies. I understand that this is not ideal. We would advise you contact the team again if you can to see if you can discuss this further with them.

Please keep us updated on how your services are after the 11th January and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs