cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On demand black screen

Dannyb2012
Tuning in

Hi, 

My on demand, amazon prime and itv hub have stopped working properly. 

They used to work fine but now when I select a show, the screen just goes black. It doesn't show anything at all.

If I press back or home, it goes back to the normal screen so I don't think it's an issue with the box turning off.

It's connected to the hub by ethernet cable and I've checked the connections. 

Netflix works fine. 

Any ideas? 

Danny. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm going to guess you've got a V6 rather than a TiVo, and you're watching on a 4K UHD TV?

If so, have you tried connecting your V6 HDMI to a different HDMI port on your TV? HDCP 2.2 compatibility on all your equipment is now required when watching VOD & using some apps in 2160p.

Some older TVs don't have this on all HDMI ports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

NPP
Dialled in
Try turning both your hub and your TV box off and on at the power switch.
=========
I work for Virgin Media but all opinions are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm going to guess you've got a V6 rather than a TiVo, and you're watching on a 4K UHD TV?

If so, have you tried connecting your V6 HDMI to a different HDMI port on your TV? HDCP 2.2 compatibility on all your equipment is now required when watching VOD & using some apps in 2160p.

Some older TVs don't have this on all HDMI ports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

NPP
Dialled in
Try turning both your hub and your TV box off and on at the power switch.
=========
I work for Virgin Media but all opinions are my own

BumbleVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

You could also try changing HDMI lead and trying, setting video output to 1080p, checking your TV software is up to date.  If this fails try on another TV.

Regards

Rich

Here to help! Im a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
************ FANCY £50 OFF YOUR BILL ************

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

Dannyb2012
Tuning in

Thanks all. Tried the suggestions and they worked. 

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Dannyb2012

Welcome to our Community and for your first post - sorry that you were having some issues with your OnDemand. Glad that our Community were able to help you out and that everything is now working for you. 

We love having an update as not only does it help us understand that things are working but other users who may have the same or similar issue know that the checks advised have worked. Please feel free to mark the answers as resolved to show the Community it;s a verified fix 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

@Dannyb2012 wrote:

Thanks all. Tried the suggestions and they worked. 

Which of the suggestions worked please?

I have a similar issue - Sky On Demand just gives a black screen after inputting the PIN (before 9PM) though Netflix is OK (not yet tried Prime which I usually watch via the TV's own app).

I'll try a power cycle of the V6 box first - hub was power cycled recently as the WiFi had stopped working.

Last time I had this issue there was apparently a fault at the VM end that was fixed after a couple of days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@g0akc 

Is your issue limited to Sky On Demand, or is all VOD affected? Try watching a CatchUp programme from ITV, C4 ot C5 if you're not sure - the underlying technology is identical.

Hi, I turned everything off at the plug and switched the hdmi cable to a different hdmi porton the TV. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

@japitts wrote:

@g0akc 

Is your issue limited to Sky On Demand, or is all VOD affected? Try watching a CatchUp programme from ITV, C4 ot C5 if you're not sure - the underlying technology is identical.

Power cycling (power switch off/on) the V6 box has seemingly resolved the issue and I'm now getting Sky On Demand content playing OK again.

I didn't get to try ITV, C4 etc. Catchup.  I generally use a YouView box for that.

Switching the V6 video output to 1080 or 720 instead of 2160 didn't resolve it.

thanks for responding anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!