cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Tivo as second box

Redfox4
Tuning in

Hi all,

I am trying to get multiform TV.  I have an existing cable installation in the second room from the previous owner.  I plugged my older Tivo box in and I get BBC 1 and others but also a purple box that suggests to call 150 to fix.  

I called 150 and asked for the Tivo to be added as a second box and therefore multiform subscription.  Sadly they told me due to covid it cannot be done and has to follow the install engineer process which is to visit my home.  

All I need is for them to add multiform and the older Tivo as a second box.  It kind of important to me because I am now seriously ill and need to spend time in bed.  Tivo in the bedroom would be excellent.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, you've got a bit of an awkward one here - with a mixture of policies to work around.

Firstly the old TiVo box - whilst I admire your keeping it safe and usable (mine is still the same), when you cancelled whatever service it was attached to, the box would have been deactivated and will no longer work without it being "reactivated". And that's not the way VM work - they tend to supply new boxes with what is essentially a "new" install. I'm sure there may have been occasions when old boxes may have been reactivated, but it's so rare as to suggest - it's certainly not normal.

As far as the second room install goes - assuming you also have VM broadband (do you?) you'd probably get a V6 as a multiroom box now, which still runs TiVo software but on much newer hardware that is far more capable. The million dollar question is whether you have an existing, working, coax connection point in the room you want the extra box - if you do, there's no reason - in principle - why you can't have a "quick start" self-install. The V6 would need a connection to the coax, and also a connection to your homehub for the internet/OnDemand stuff - that can be via Ethernet or WiFi.

If you don't have VM broadband, then disregard the V6 & homehub points and you would indeed get a TiVo. What you've been told about engineer installations of additional boxes is entirely true - if a manned install is required. If you fit the criteria for a self-install, then you may be ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, you've got a bit of an awkward one here - with a mixture of policies to work around.

Firstly the old TiVo box - whilst I admire your keeping it safe and usable (mine is still the same), when you cancelled whatever service it was attached to, the box would have been deactivated and will no longer work without it being "reactivated". And that's not the way VM work - they tend to supply new boxes with what is essentially a "new" install. I'm sure there may have been occasions when old boxes may have been reactivated, but it's so rare as to suggest - it's certainly not normal.

As far as the second room install goes - assuming you also have VM broadband (do you?) you'd probably get a V6 as a multiroom box now, which still runs TiVo software but on much newer hardware that is far more capable. The million dollar question is whether you have an existing, working, coax connection point in the room you want the extra box - if you do, there's no reason - in principle - why you can't have a "quick start" self-install. The V6 would need a connection to the coax, and also a connection to your homehub for the internet/OnDemand stuff - that can be via Ethernet or WiFi.

If you don't have VM broadband, then disregard the V6 & homehub points and you would indeed get a TiVo. What you've been told about engineer installations of additional boxes is entirely true - if a manned install is required. If you fit the criteria for a self-install, then you may be ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.  A useful insight in the way VM operate.  I have a working coax in the room I want the additional TV box so I'll call 150 back and ask for a quick start self install.  If not I ask for the manager / supervisor etc.

Thanks again.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Redfox4 

Welcome to the forums and thank you so much for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting set up. 

Have you managed to get things sorted since your post? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

I did call back on 150 and asked for a fast track new additional box but again was told that it would involve an Engineer visit which was not allowed under current government guidelines.

I then used the complaint facility and documented what had happened.  I received a reply within a few hours which suggested I should call 'faults' This I did at 2pm this afternoon.  Over the course of the afternoon I spoke to an agent a number of times with him calling me pack with progress and then was transferred to someone else who sorted it all out.  

I now have all channels in my package on both v6 and older TiVo box and for only £5 extra per month.

It was a journey but I got there in the end.

Thanks all for your help.