cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Tivo

Domestos
Tuning in

I have a Tivo box which is in our bedroom but I can't use it as the Hard drive noise keeps me awake. Even in stand by, all night it spins up every 5 minutes and whirs. It's driving me up the wall!!. Any ideas about what I can do before I go mad? Why does it do that even in Standby?

Could someone from Virgin respond? I've been on hold for half an hour so far....

Thanks!

Jim

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The drive will spin-up for planned recordings & EPG updates.

If it's doing so more than that, I'd want to check the power-save options next.

A TiVo let's you choose between 2 & 4 hour inactivity power-down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi...

I'm switching it off with the remote but it still chunters all night. I've wasted an hour this morning on a chat with a bot, Kinda hoping someone from Virgin will get in touch! 

I'll double check your suggestions though!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Domestos

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post.

How did you get on with the suggestions from Japitts?

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I religiously followed the advice. No difference. 

I spent almost an hour on the phone to a Virgin rep and followed his advice too which he seemed to read off a script. No difference. He promised to arrange a call back within 24 hours but no-one has. He did sell me a new 18 month contract though which I suspect was all he was interested in.

I still want to talk to someone from Virgin who can solve the problem.

Thanks.

Jim Harris

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want to talk to someone, you will need to call - the forum team are online-only.

They may be able to resolve the issue if you hang around here, but I very much hope doubt they'll be making an outbound call.

Out of interest, if you have VM broadband, did you get a box-swap to a V6 as part of your new contract? It runs the same software as your TiVo but on far superior hardware.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

By talk to someone I meant by any means... Online is fine. 

I was under the impression that a V6 box cost extra money...

Jim

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Domestos wrote:

I was under the impression that a V6 box cost extra money...

When you were negotiating your new bundle, did you ask about a box-swap?

Hi @Domestos,

I am very sorry to hear about this. Are you continuing to have these issues with your TiVo box since your last post?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Yes I am....