cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on some channels

squillian
On our wavelength

Since Saturday I've been having problems of no sound on random channels. Some are ok, with both sound and picture fine, but on other channels there is picture but no sound. I have tried re-booting the TIVO box twice, but to no effect. Can someone please advise. I did send this in a couple of days ago but got no response and now I can't even find my previous message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi again squillian,

Apologies for our delayed response to you and sorry to hear you're having a few more problems with your TV service.

To turn Audio Description off, please follow the below steps:

1. Press the Info button on your remote control to bring up the Info banner.
  2. Press the down arrow twice to go to Audio description.
  3. Press OK to turn audio description off

For the general sound issue on some channels, I would recommend going to your audio settings and selecting 'dolby digital to PCM'. Once you've done that, let me know if the sound issues go away.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

squillian
On our wavelength

Fixed it myself.

Sorry to hear of the issues that you had with no sound on certain channels but equally as glad that you have been able to fix it. What was the problem, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards

Steven_L

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm going to guess it was this existing thread

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

squillian
On our wavelength

Hi, I thought it was fixed but it wasn't. I got the sound back ok by simply reconnecting with the Virgin network, but a few days later I had another problem which it looks like I will have to live with for now. Somehow I had inadvertently turned on Audio Description, something I didn't even know existed. I found out when I started getting a commentary over a programme I was trying to watch. Thinking it was coming from the broadcaster for some reason (like some programmes have a person signing in the corner) I just ignored it. When it happened again on another pogramme a couple of days later on a different channel, I started to investigate. That's when I discovered what it really was and found out that I could turn it off from the info button on my TiVo handset. Only trouble is that if I do that, all sound disappears on quite a few of my channels, and I suspect it is the ones I lost sound on before. I have checked a few, but not every channel.

Now it looks like I can either have sound + AD on those channels, or no sound at all and watch it with sub-titles. There is no way I can get rid of the AD without losing sound altogether, despite what the AD text says. It seems obvious to me that my TiVo box has developed a fault, but I have so much recorded and un-watched on it that I am reluctant to ask for a new box because apparently what I have recorded cannot be transferred to the new box. I have no idea why that should be, I would have thought it would  be a straight download from one hard-drive to another. 

As I'm over 70, in the current Covid situation I won't be going far over winter so I'll have plenty of time to watch back my recordings and think about a new box next year sometime. 

Hi again squillian,

Apologies for our delayed response to you and sorry to hear you're having a few more problems with your TV service.

To turn Audio Description off, please follow the below steps:

1. Press the Info button on your remote control to bring up the Info banner.
  2. Press the down arrow twice to go to Audio description.
  3. Press OK to turn audio description off

For the general sound issue on some channels, I would recommend going to your audio settings and selecting 'dolby digital to PCM'. Once you've done that, let me know if the sound issues go away.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth

squillian
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

I tried turning AD off using those 3 steps but if I turned it off that way I lost all the sound on that channel. Same applied on every channel I tried it on.

I have now tried your second suggestion and so far all is fine. I have turned AD off and sound still seems to be working on the two channels I have tried. However, the programme I am currently watching doesn't have AD.

I still don't understand why I lost sound in the first place or how AD got turned on when I didn't even know there was such a thing, as I have never needed it. I had done nothing different, only turned the TV on and off and changed channels when needed. I certainly hadn't altered any settings.

squillian
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

I can now confirm that your tip about re-setting the audio settings seems to have done the trick. I am now able to turn AD off without losing all sound. I am currently watching (and listening to) a programme that has AD, on channel 5, which was one of the ones affected, with AD turned off. I couldn't do that before.

I'm still a bit confused about how it all happened in the first place as I hadn't changed anything. 

Thanks very much for your help.

Glad to hear that Beths suggestions worked for you @squillian.

I'm not sure why it would have changed on you though, if you hadn't done anything to the box.

Thanks

Steven_L

No, I can't understand it either Steven. All we do is turn the TV off when we go to bed, and turn it on again when we need it the following day. The TiVo box goes into standby overnight, so we press the "Home" button to re-activate it when needed. That's it really, we have no need to alter any settings, and there are just us two 71 year olds living here. Because of the Covid virus we have had no visitors for ages either, not even our own grandchildren, so nobody could have "fiddled" with it.

Thanks for your response.