cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tv TiVo box not working

wrinkle
On our wavelength

New tv installed will only shoe free view. The TiVo box has an hdmi cable to tv plus a smart converter cannot get the main programmes, sport etc.please help- thank you

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Indeed so - I think you have 2 problems here, with the same underlying cause.

A direct HDMI connection without any old Scart or other converters, is the key here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wrinkle
On our wavelength
Thank you. I will see what Virgin say. Thank you for your help.

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would only add that if your problem is as myself & newapollo suspect - and is related to the HDMI connection between your TiVo & TV, then calling VM-CS is likely to be not only a fruitless exercise, but potentially frustrating if you happen to get through to an offshore agent.

A VM phone agent should be able to assist with issues as far as your set-top-box, but is relatively powerless beyond that. What you might need is a trusted friend or relative to help with "hands and eyes" in front of your equipment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Hi
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you but will try with Virgin cs, however my son in law is useful and I am sure he can help. I now feel we should not have bothered buying a new TV!  I have appreciated the help and advice you have given me. Thank you

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Great answer but what about Panasonic Smart tv bought a few days ago, had problems setting it up had some great help with that but the picture on Virgin is awful. Wish we hadn’t bothered buying the TV. Ah well

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wrinkle wrote:

Great answer but what about Panasonic Smart tv bought a few days ago, had problems setting it up had some great help with that but the picture on Virgin is awful. Wish we hadn’t bothered buying the TV. Ah well

Have you got the TV connected by direct HDMI cable yet? Or are you still using a Scart converter?

You won't get the best PQ for as long as you're using outdated Scart equipment.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @wrinkle, thanks for your post and really sorry you're having problems using our TV service.

Just to be clear, can you see the Tivo menus on your TV or when you refer to only being able to access Freeview channels, is this from your own TV or via our Set Top Box?

If you can't see any Tivo menus, you might need to find the right Source/Input relevant to what your Tivo box is on, as per @newapollo's earlier suggestion. Can you confirm if you've tried this please?

If you are on the right source, and can see the Tivo menus, are you getting any error messages on channels such as Sky Sports that don't seem to be working for you?

Regards

Tom_W

wrinkle
On our wavelength

Hi 

I have been able to sort it out, a lot of sweat and tears! Thank you for your message. Impressed with the amount information and  help I have received. Thank you