Menu
dollydancer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Need to connect up dvd/vcr combo to V6 box - Tried everything!

Was able to record shows onto dvd/vcr box with old Virgin box, but not the new V6 box. It has no scart - tried scart convertor, but did not work.

Any ideas? Shows are piling up on V6 box with nowhere to go!! Would I need to scart to HDMI lead, or vice versa? And are there any good convertors out there?  New Sky box has one already!

Novice here. Need lots of advice.

Help!!

:0)

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need to connect up dvd/vcr combo to V6 box - Tried everything!

Hi dollydancer,

In order to use the TV6 scart connector you will need a S-Video to S-Video cable, this will then allow you to output from the round S-Video connector on the back of the TV6 box to a SCART connector on your VCR/DVD.

You will need these 3 items in order to carry the video and audio.

1x Double RCA to Single RCA (Audio)  

* 1 end to the audio out on the virgin box and 2 other ends to the red and white connectors on the scart block

1x S-Video to S-Video (Video)

* 1 end to the SCART OUT on the virgin box and one end to the connector on the scart block

1x SCART Component (Connects to the back of your VCR/DVD)

* This connects to the back of your VCR/DVD

03161a.jpgSingle RCA To Doublesvideo.jpgS-Video 2 S-Videoscart component.jpgScart Component Block  

I haven't tried this myself but general AV connection equipment this is how it SHOULD work. 

dollydancer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Oh thank you so much. Will have a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

andyjstew wrote:

Hi dollydancer,

In order to use the TV6 scart connector you will need a S-Video to S-Video cable, this will then allow you to output from the round S-Video connector on the back of the TV6 box to a SCART connector on your VCR/DVD.

You will need these 3 items in order to carry the video and audio.

1x Double RCA to Single RCA (Audio)  

* 1 end to the audio out on the virgin box and 2 other ends to the red and white connectors on the scart block

1x S-Video to S-Video (Video)

* 1 end to the SCART OUT on the virgin box and one end to the connector on the scart block

1x SCART Component (Connects to the back of your VCR/DVD)

* This connects to the back of your VCR/DVD

03161a.jpgSingle RCA To Doublesvideo.jpgS-Video 2 S-Videoscart component.jpgScart Component Block  

I haven't tried this myself but general AV connection equipment this is how it SHOULD work. 

The round scart on the V6 is disabled

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Why have they even bothered to put it on there?

Do you know of a way to enable it at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

it's enabled for the Horizon software for the V6 in Europe, there's no way of activating it in the UK

dollydancer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andyjstew

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I did appreciate your quick response. As it happens, I had to go to a world of trouble (and plenty expense - thanks, Virgin) to get round the problem, involving a HDMI to scart convertor and an HDMI splitter and leads everywhere (I have my brother to thank for all the graft). The picture is by no means perfect, but it is adequate. I am not expecting HD/4K quality, just decent dvd standard.

I've been told about copyright, and all the usual reasons for not taping shows, but you can't buy everything online (I like a boxed blu-ray set as much as anyone, but some stuff will never beome commercially available. And anyway, if freeview let you tape things from its guide, I cannot see what the problem is taping from Freeview, Tivo, or anything else. (I'm not going to flog my recordings on ebay!) Some stations put a macrovision signal on their shows to prevent taping, which is fair enough).

Am annoyed that the Virgin guys put me to world of trouble and expense for want of a simple scart input. Then to be told the current one is disabled (though our European cousins can make use of it), is adding insult to injury.

Did order a scart lead, but the pin configuration for the round scart port was different. Interestingly, it is possible to enable a disabled port on a computer, but how it could be done on a Tivo box, I have no idea. There must be a command fed through the settings page, or something.

We did try a version of your suggestion earlier, but it did not work. Thanks for your help, though. You're a brick.

0 Kudos
dollydancer
Tuning in
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

P S Sky users are supplied with a special adapter for the little round scart at the back of their box for taping, so I hear. Presumably THEIR scart connection can be enabled.
0 Kudos
Richupton
Joining in
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello dollydancer

Would you please be able to explain what you (or your brother!) did in order to be able to enable to record DVD from the V6 as I am just learned of this particular feature having tried to record something today!!

If you couid tell me what was bought and how it was all configured I'd be so very grateful!

Many thanks

Richard
0 Kudos
dollydancer
Tuning in
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard

Here is a direct quote from something I posted on amazon with all the relevant details. Hope it helps. Contact sellers direct if you have any questions as they are the best people to ask.

[**Those lovely chaps at Virgin Media decided to omit the scart socket on their new V6 TiVo box (you have been warned), so I could not tape shows onto my humble little DVD recorder anymore. I like to buy box sets of fave shows, but so many things on TV will never be made commercially available, so taping some stuff is the only option. You can tape some terrestrial stuff via Freeview, but not cable shows.

Okay, it's not Hi Def or 4K, but it will do.

Went to a world of trouble to find a way around this problem (I was even advised that I would have to splash out hundreds to sort the problem), when I found this little beauty which did the trick.

Along with an HDMI splitter Cablesson HDelity 1 x 2 HDMI Splitter with 4k2k - Active amplifier - Ultra HD, UHD, 2160p, HDR. 3D a..., I was able to start taping shows again. The Neotek HDMI to Scart converter does just the job. It's easy to set up and away you go. [Neoteck Aluminum HDMI to SCART Converter 1080P HDMI to Scart Adapter Composite HD Video Stereo Audio Adapter HDMI Input SCART Output Converter with UK Power Adapter for TV DVD SKY HD Blu Ray DVD Apple PS3 etc ]

Thanks Neotek

NB: some set ups will need Scart to HDMI, and not vice versa, so check before you buy**]

Both available from Amazon.co.uk

Elsewhere I have posted on this website what my brother did.

We needed a splitter with two outputs and one input.

V6 box to input

Amp to output

TV from amp - output

DVD recorder - output. (use the HDMI to scart box)

Richer Sounds at Watford have people that can help.

Hope this helps.

Deb

0 Kudos