cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of TV service

M_H_M
On our wavelength

In the 5th day of no TV service. Now 2 "issues" posted on service status page for this postcode. Do I have to apply for compensation or is it automatic? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A few bits here..

1: I strongly suspect the issues you're seeing on the status page have nothing to do with your set-top-box. If you want to post a screenshot, we can verify that.

2: What is the issue you're having with your TV service - can you explain, including any error codes/messages?

3: There is no automatic compensation for TV services, only landline & broadband. Details are at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A few bits here..

1: I strongly suspect the issues you're seeing on the status page have nothing to do with your set-top-box. If you want to post a screenshot, we can verify that.

2: What is the issue you're having with your TV service - can you explain, including any error codes/messages?

3: There is no automatic compensation for TV services, only landline & broadband. Details are at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

M_H_M
On our wavelength

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 17.34.00.png

 Thanks japitts. Above the current status. Message on Monday said some thing along the lines of "Do not use DVR.." and some other stuff which I don't remember. Perhaps not the TiVo but still no TV.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I suspected - neither of those have anything to do with your STB (set-top-box) service unless you are watching the red-button on Sky Sports Cricket. The issue with TV Go appears on most people's online checks currently, regardless of location.

Which begs the obvious question - what is the problem you're having with your VM TV service? You've not said, unless your comment about "do not use DVR" is hinting at a green "DVR has detected an error" screen error message?

If that is what you're getting at, your TiVo's hard drive has failed and the box will need replacing - this has nothing to do with any area faults.

M_H_M
On our wavelength

This is the message on the screen. Sorry, I should have thought to send it to you before:

20220121_180011.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep - sorry to say, that's got nothing to do with any area fault and everything to do with a failed hard drive. It's terminal - your box needs replacing.

Either call in (150 from VM or 0345 4541111 otherwise) or wait on here for staff to pickup, that may take a couple of days.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @M_H_M 

EDIT - beaten to it by japitts 😄

Unfortunately that's what we term the green screen of death.

It does indeed mean your hard drive has failed and you will need a replacement box.

You can either call in and speak to faults or wait a day or two for a member of the Forum Team to pick this up for you.

If you don't want to wait for Forum Staff then call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am weekdays, or 9am Saturdays when lines first open to avoid call queues.

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc, ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

M_H_M
On our wavelength

Thanks japitts. As you probably are aware your chum Newapollo also on the case. I'm overwhelmed! Got an appointment for Monday after going through the "identify the fault screens" so hopefully will be resolved then. Much appreciate your knowledge and time. 

M_H_M
On our wavelength

Ha! Replied to you (I thought) but message seemed to be lost between signing in. Engineer due on Monday after going through "fix your problem" screens and will hopefully have a replacement box. Thanks for your help.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @M_H_M, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry you've been having issues with your TV service.

As @japitts and @newapollo have mentioned, the DVR failure is an issue with your set top box's hard drive, which mean it's likely your box will need to be replaced. Glad to hear you've been able to get a technician booked in.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance following your engineer visit but if not, all the best!

Regards

Tom_W