Menu
jeane99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is this a problem?

a few months ago my old tivo box was upgraded to the V6 box.  

everything mostly fine except it had a consistent clicking noise and didn't record a number of prorgammes that i had series links for.   

based on the recommendations of this forum, i call tech support and over the weekend, they replaced the box for me.

now the new box has the same click and no longer records suggestions.  i called tech support again last night and they said they have changed the settings on the box to now record suggestions and all should work.  

well, still no suggestions and i'm not sure if the clicking is just normal for these boxes and i am just sensitive to the sound.  

as it's a new box, my storage is at 3% so space shouldn't be an issue.  i also have set up series links which are being recorded.  this morning, i switched the suggestions settings off and then back on again in the hope that it should kick start it.  

anything else i could try?

thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this a problem?

Hi regarding the clicking sound it shouldn't be making a noise, mine is silent in standby and when in operation.Regards Micky
jeane99
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Micky. Ugh, it means I'm going to have to go back to them isn't it?

I can't hear the clicking sound when the tv is on (obvs) but yeah, I can hear it every few minutes from across the room when it's on standby.

To be honest, I'm not sure the suggestion issue was totally registered with tech help when I called. They started telling me about the number of slots available to record at any one time...

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi as you have discovered you can turn surrgestions on or off in settings so it sounds like that function isn't working, check a few other functions to see how they work, that will confirm if the box is faulty.Regards Micky
jeane99
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

from what i can see, all other functions are err...functional. it's only the suggestions function that is not working. hopefully when i get home tonight, i'll be met with an avalanche of programmes that i have zero interest in watching.

thanks!
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

clicking is usually the hard drive. had that several times over the years with various computers and a tivo. i would get virgin in.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Suggestions only works when it has data to work on.

Your new box doesn’t know your likes and dislikes until it sees what you set to record and which programs you thumbs up or down.

You are able to copy this information along with your series links from your old box.

You can learn how to do this here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

0 Kudos
jeane99
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have set up series links which are recording and when i delve deeper into the suggestions menu it does show the programmes i have given a thumbs up and down to. do you think it should just perhaps give it more time?

that link is helpful!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you don’t wish to copy over your old data, the box will gradually learn and make suggestions.

jeane99
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I copied over my old data a few days ago. I'll give it a little more time.

0 Kudos