cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irish advertisements on UK channels?

AllPointsNorth1
Up to speed

Hi. I wonder if you could help.  My brother is a Virgin media customer with a TiVo box.  He's currently watching Sky Nature (280) and we're noticing advertising on there for Sky's services is appearing quoting prices in Euro, not pounds.

Is this a problem with Virgin Media's streams? Surely we shouldn't be seeing Irish advertising in England? Could this be a stream intended for Virgin Ireland?

APN1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Everyone receives the same channels, but the advertising is targeted thanks to Sky Adsmart. It is similar to what happens with streaming on the internet. Explanation via the link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-and-sky-unveil-uk-lau...

So the issue may be related to the box itself rather than the channel.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AllPointsNorth1 wrote:

So what could be wrong with the box, that AdSmart would serve it an Irish advertisement, when it was (presumably) brand new when it was installed at my brother's house? Unless it's an Irish box, that shouldn't happen surely...

It cannot be a network issue. All HD channels on VM are now fibre fed direct from the broadcaster, so unless Sky are sending VM UK the wrong version of the channel it would be impossible to see it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Everyone receives the same channels, but the advertising is targeted thanks to Sky Adsmart. It is similar to what happens with streaming on the internet. Explanation via the link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-and-sky-unveil-uk-lau...

So the issue may be related to the box itself rather than the channel.

cje85
Trouble shooter

Many of Sky's channels, including Nature, have a UK version and an Irish version. The schedules are identical but the adverts are different. It could be that the wrong version of Sky Nature is being broadcast on VM in a certain area.

AdSmart can replace certain adverts but not whole breaks so different versions are needed for Ireland in order to carry entirely different breaks.

You can see on satellite they have:

Sky Nature UK: https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/Sky-Nature-UK.html:

Sky Nature Ireland: https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/Sky-Nature-Ireland.html

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VMs UK & Ireland TV networks are not physically connected to each other. If the version is wrong we would all see it as it is carried on the same mux throughout the network.

So what could be wrong with the box, that AdSmart would serve it an Irish advertisement, when it was (presumably) brand new when it was installed at my brother's house? Unless it's an Irish box, that shouldn't happen surely...

APN1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AllPointsNorth1 wrote:

It cannot be a network issue. All HD channels on VM are now fibre fed direct from the broadcaster, so unless Sky are sending VM UK the wrong version of the channel it would be impossible to see it.

So what are you saying? That we didn't see this ad? I did rewind it just to make sure we'd heard it correctly, and it definitely gave the price for something Sky were doing as €12 a month.  I'll record it next time I see it.  Both of us can't be wrong at the same time!  I think I'll see about getting his TiVo replaced.

APN1

Hi @AllPointsNorth1

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'll feed this back regardless to see if Sky can sort this for us, thank you for making us aware.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That's not quite true, as not long ago VM put one of their Irish channels out in place of a channel in the UK...