Menu
philiphales
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intelligent Guide

I have just been scouring the TV guide (paper version) for what is coming on this week. 2 things came up that I thought we might like, so did a series link only to be told something won’t record as it clashes. Why does it not look for alternative nights it may be on which it will record. I end up wasting an hour opening Google for a TV Lising site to see if one of the clashes is on another night at a later time which will not clash with anything else. Then cancelling the original, adding the new and re-setting the one which clashed. Yes I can do it, but should I have to in this day and age?

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intelligent Guide

TiVo warning of a clash is perhaps a little misleading here - you're absolutely right in saying a series link should reschedule. To explain, TiVo will prioritise recordings..

One-off recordings, series links, then suggestions/wishlists. You can go into "Manage my series links" and arrange them in such a way that channels without catch-up facilities/repeat showings are nearer the top, and channels with more repeats etc etc, are lower down and therefore get rearranged first.

To give an example, I generally have ITV/C4/C5-HD stuff towards the top as harder to get elsewhere, BBC stuff a little further down as iPlayer-OK if necessary, then the C4/4-Seven stuff further down followed by endlessly repeated channels at the bottom. That way, when there is a clash tuners are prioritised for the shows that need it.

When you get the warning of a clash, the TiVo scheduler will already be taking the order of priorities into account in telling you what's going to be dumped. Once you "accept" the clash, the rescheduler logic will kick in, if you then come back 15-20 minutes later it will probably have found an alternative showing.

Hard to explain, but I hope this makes sense.

philiphales
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intelligent Guide

Hi

Thanks for the quick response - when I finish watching Top Gear, catch up on iPlayer I will certainly look into this.

Regards Philip

0 Kudos