cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITVX and TiVo box

Flumoxed
Joining in

I have a basic TV package and TiVo box. I thought I would be able to watch ITVX via catch up but this seems not to be the case. Any advice please? 

10 REPLIES 10

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First check, where do you live?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Uxbridge

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect Ben was checking whether you were in Scotland or not, apologies to him if that's not the case.

The TiVo should have access to ITV "CatchUp" programmes using VM's in-house OnDemand system, but to use the ITV-X branded app you will need to change your TV box.

Either the V6 (same software as you have now) or a TV360 (newest software, very different) both use the same physical box and support the ITV-X app. VM will very easily sell you a conversion to TV360, or if the software doesn't suit you - a V6 is a clear upgrade on the TiVo, will be familiar to you with much newer hardware.

Whichever you choose, VM home broadband is a requirement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply. I was aware that I couldn’t get ITVX with my present TiVo box but I read that I could get it by the catch up/on demand facility. I am unable to do this.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The V6 is so much a better box than the TiVo in the long-run, but anyhow.

If all you want is "CatchUp" OnDemand, then forget about the ITV-X branding. Do one of 3 things..

1: Record any programme you know you'll want to watch, so much better than using OnDemand.

2: Find the programme you want in the reverse EPG, press "OK" and "Watch from CatchUp"

3: Follow Home > CatchUp > Channels > ITV CatchUp

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your reply. I can’t record the programme I want to watch because it’s on ITVX and with my present box I have no access to ITVX. I’m not going to upgrade to the V6 box because I’m sure VM will choose this as an opportunity to raise my bill.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, you didn't mention that you were trying to access a programme that's only available on the app itself. That changes things, and you therefore have one of 3 choices..

1: Upgrade your TV box to a V6.

2: Choose to convert to TV360, which VM may offer at reduced cost.

3: See if your chosen programme is available via the ITV-X website.

Thank you for your reply. Not having access to ITVX via a TiVo box seems a little unfair as I believe it is available on Freeview. As I stated if I upgrade to TV6 VM will surely increase my bill. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with the TiVo being a very old box running old hardware.

New apps stopped launching on the TiVo many years ago - you only need try using the iPlayer for evidence of how slow the box is at running streaming apps.

You're correct to say that many recent internet-connected TV's have the streaming app installed, as do Virgin's latest TV boxes - the V6 & TV360. Incidentally, faulty TiVo's are no longer replaced - but are now swapped for V6 providing you have VM home broadband.

If you're out of your minimum term, you may well be able to negotiate a new bundle deal in conjunction with a box-swap. That depends on when you last renegotiated your package.