cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to delete all YouTube from my TiVo box

GardenersGuide5
Tuning in

Q - How do I remove the YouTube app from my TiVo box?
I wonder if anyone else has encountered this and solved it...... we have virgin media and their TiVo boxes. My children search and watch YouTube through the TV App on the box. We are not even logged in to YouTube and they can still access it.  I hate it and want to remove it/password protect it.
We have the parental controls set etc- so they are not at risk- it is just not how I want them to spend their time (They choose to watch silly toy opening shows or videos of others playing mind craft)

I have spoken to Virgin Media and asked them to remove the YouTube App from our TiVo box- they tell me They can’t do it and that I am the only one to have ever requested this.

This is a deal breaker for us and if it can’t be resolved we will leave the entire service. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for getting in touch @GardenersGuide5 and welcome to the Virgin Media community forums.  

Unfortunately @Anonymous is correct you cant remove the YouTube app from any Tivo box. The YouTube app is a stock app and is programmed onto all of the Tivo boxes before being distributed to customers.

Thanks

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
you can't remove youtube

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for getting in touch @GardenersGuide5 and welcome to the Virgin Media community forums.  

Unfortunately @Anonymous is correct you cant remove the YouTube app from any Tivo box. The YouTube app is a stock app and is programmed onto all of the Tivo boxes before being distributed to customers.

Thanks

Steven_L

I am disappointed, I can’t be the only one who doesn’t want it.  Is there a way to password protect it. 

I notice that there is an App/Game area on the menu where you can select Apps to 🔐 lock - but YouTube is not shown in this menu. Has anyone got any tips? Or know who I can speak to at Virgin to look into this more please? 

Do you think it’s possible to get our boxes reprogrammed or swap our boxes for ones without YouTube pre-programmed?

Anonymous
Not applicable
no you can't All the current boxes have youtube. It can't be removed or changed

Since this post, I have started dialogues on some parent chat room forums and found an overwhelming number of parents feel the same way that we do, half of which tell me they have all also asked Virgin to remove YouTube from their box or create a way to restrict access. But come across a brick wall.

Why are we all getting fobbed off?

Somebody at Virgin needs to start listening and taking action. Has anyone got a contact who could help with this?

Hi GardenersGuide5,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I am really sorry that we are unable to restrict/ remove access to You tube on you set top box.

I do understand the frustration this may be causing you , however this isn't something we are unable to do  at this moment in time.

Our app developers are working to implement a parental controls system for applications. but please don't consider this  as confirmation.

I simply wanted to assure you that parental controls on applications, specifically YouTube, is not something that we are ignoring - as I can understand your frustration. 

Kind regards

Paul.

I have just stumbled across this thread having tried in vain to delete the YouTube app from my Tivo box this morning. Its now October, nearly November and still there is nothing in place to allow this app to either be deleted or locked. This is a disgrace. My contract comes to an end at the end of this month and i will be cancelling my subscription. I will say it again as a parent its a complete disgrace that this app cannot be at least parental controlled from the settings menu. A shambles of a company

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting in touch with the feedback AndyShiells - apologies for any frustration caused.

We'll be sure to pass on your feelings on this, and hope you reconsider leaving due to it. If there's anything we may be able to assist with please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Tom