Menu
Richard1959
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hard selling from call centre

Not so much a question as a warning and a venting of frustration.

Today I decided to swap one of my two Tivo boxes to a more up to date V6 box and decided to call VM rather than do it online as I wanted to be sure there were no hidden charges. Well what an experience that was, I came away from the conversation genuinely feeling physically drained and as though I had just gone through a battle of wills and a test of endurance rather than making a simple change.

I started with a customer services rep who when asked how much it would cost with everything included to swap the box, confirmed that adding extra broadband, sky sports and Sky cinema with two V6 boxes would change my package cost to just £110 a month. I pointed out that I hadn't asked for anything extra I just wanted to swap the box on my existing package.

I wont bore you with how often we continued to argue (and I really mean argue) about this as she tried to persuade me that she was making me a fantastic offer, but suffice to say she couldn't (or wouldn't) accept that I didn't want any extra channels or faster broadband.

I asked to speak to someone else but she refused (at first) to transfer my call, just as I was about to hang up the line went dead and someone else came on I think said she was a manager or supervisor (cant remember which). I thought this would solve the issue but sadly she seemed just as keen to try and get me to up my package. However this time I was faced with an additional problem that she was someone whose maths was either below Junior school level or (and I hate to suggest this) was trying to trick me as to how much extra I was going to pay.

The supervisor told me that to just swap the box would cost £99.00, My current package is £92.75 per month, she was (like the first woman) offering me a new package of £110.00 per month which she said she was doing all for my benefit as it was just £10.00 more a month which meant that on a 12 month contract I would be paying the same for the box whilst getting all the benefits of the better package which I could then cancel if I wanted to at the end of the 12 month contract.

Now I don't know about anyone else on here but when I did maths at school £110.00 minus £92.75 was £17.25 not £10.00 so over 12 months I would be paying £207.00 for a box costing £99.00. Even using her incorrect figure of £10.00 per month that would still be £120.00 which makes it a mistake (cough cough) on her part to suggest the price would be the same. I pointed this out at which point thankfully the hard sell stopped and she accepted that I would just swap the box. However there was one final attempt to get me to part with more money she wanted to now charge me £134.00 for the box with a technician installing it. I pointed out it can be user installed so she put me on hold for a moment and then came back with a final offer.

Now to end on a positive I think she realised just how fed up and frustrated I was and then surprised me with a final price that was less than I had expected of just £40.00 for the box which will be delivered in the next 5 days.

So a good ending but I am now sitting quietly with a strong cup of tea recovering from a lengthy and painful experience that I hope I (and any of you) should never have to go through again.

Rant over, I just hope the V6 box is worth all the effort

Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hard selling from call centre

Hi there Richard1959

Thank you for visiting our community forum pages and for taking the time to post.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the process when you contacted our team to upgarde some of your equipment.

This doesn't sound like the standard of service which we aim to provide or the smooth experience which we'd expect.

We are pleased to hear that we were able to meet your requirements by the end of the call.

We do appreciate your patience with this and hope that you have a more efficient experience the next time you get in touch. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Richard1959
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It certainly was a bad experience and I wasn't exaggerating when I said I felt physically drained after the call (and I spent years in a very high pressure environment).

However I always like to leave things on a positive so I will say that the delivery of the V6 box was quick arriving 3 days later and the self install was very easy. It links up perfectly with my WiFi hub without the need for an ethernet cable with a 92% connection signal which the V6 box says is excellent. My series links and suggestions copied over within 20 minutes of me actioning it on TV Go and the difference to the Tivo in speed of doing things on the V6 is amazing. iPlayer for example which on the Tivo takes so long you could almost go and make a cup of tea is instant on the V6 with no "lag" whatsoever.

So a painful process to get there but the end result was worth the effort I would certainly recommend the V6 and have done to two friends already both of whom may well now upgrade.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for updating us and sorry it was wasn't easier than it should be. I'll pass your comments on as it shouldn't be so much effort and am pleased to hear that your experience was positive after the call.

Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Monty43951
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The sales team are shocking and hide the truth so you upgrade or sign a new contract as the old saying says buyer beware ask the 10 times to tell you slowly in English what the new cost is going to be before agreeing 

0 Kudos