cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting new box, can old Tivo box remain online to access my shows?

roblightbody
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm getting a new TV-360 box in the next day or two.  Our old Tivo box is still working fine.  If I keep it networked, is there a way to access its recorded programmes from the new box?  Just until I watch everything thats on it, then it can go.

Thanks.

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roblightbody wrote:

I'm taking from what you're saying, that as soon as the new box is connected to our cable & internet, the box will activate on our account and the old box will be automatically made redundant - bricked?

Correct. Standard behaviour for all box-swaps. Edited to add that if you want multiple boxes active simultaneously, you need to have a multiroom subscription. But you'll need all 360s or all TiVo/V6 to do that - you can't mix the two.

@roblightbody wrote:

Slightly disappointing, and we'll need to think carefully before turning the new box on. 

If you're converting a V6 into a 360, you have a few days after the "upgrade now" menu icon appears before the conversion is enforced. If you're swapping a TiVo for a V6 or 360, then you might hit activation problems if you take longer than a few weeks to do the swap.

The fact you're also converting between TiVo-platform & 360-platform (which are totally different) just adds another layer of "it can't be done" beyond the standard box-swap.

Also be aware of VM's standard advice with a 360 conversion...

360_enjoy recordings.JPG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Rob,

This sounds like a box swap, the 360 replacing the older TIVO.

The two boxes can't be run in tandem as they have different firmware.

The TIVO will be deactivated and need returning to VM.

You should make a note of your recordings 9some may be available via catch up and on demand) and series links so yuo can set them up on the 360.

The new 360 box may already be activated and ready to go as soon as you receive it.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When any replacement box is activated, the older box is deactivated.

If you're swapping from TiVo/V6 to 360, then your account leaves the TiVo-software platform and migrates to 360.

360 & TiVo are completely different - so as per newapollo, you will need to watch your recordings before moving to 360.

You can check which box you currently have, here - a V6 can be software-converted to 360, a TiVo is a physical box-swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi the only thing to add to the two correct answers is virgin do not require the old tivos back, so you can dispose of it responsibly. Regards Micky

Thank you for all replies.

As Micky said, they told me they didn't want the old box back, and I should recycle it.

I'm taking from what you're saying, that as soon as the new box is connected to our cable & internet, the box will activate on our account and the old box will be automatically made redundant - bricked?

Slightly disappointing, and we'll need to think carefully before turning the new box on. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roblightbody wrote:

Correct. Standard behaviour for all box-swaps. Edited to add that if you want multiple boxes active simultaneously, you need to have a multiroom subscription. But you'll need all 360s or all TiVo/V6 to do that - you can't mix the two.

@roblightbody wrote:

If you're converting a V6 into a 360, you have a few days after the "upgrade now" menu icon appears before the conversion is enforced. If you're swapping a TiVo for a V6 or 360, then you might hit activation problems if you take longer than a few weeks to do the swap.

The fact you're also converting between TiVo-platform & 360-platform (which are totally different) just adds another layer of "it can't be done" beyond the standard box-swap.

Also be aware of VM's standard advice with a 360 conversion...

360_enjoy recordings.JPG

Thanks for your post and updates, roblightbody,

japitts is totally correct, when it comes to box swaps, the old box will be taken offline as soon as you connect the new one.

Cheers,

Corey C

I wanted to come back and answer my own question, because it turns out that it wasn't really answered here (but thanks for all the help of course).

While the original TiVo lost its signal, it remained fully operation in terms of programmes recorded in "My shows", and this is the bit I was concerned about.

Shortly after the v6 box arrived, the original TiVo lost its TV and internet signal.  I never cared about this happening.  What I cared about was all my recordings.  The original TiVo is still working fine to this day, I am still able to access all my recordings, and am slowly getting through watching and deleting them, at the end of which I will finally be able to remove it and recycle it.

So, it has all worked the way I hoped it would.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That would suggest the coax cable has been removed from the old TiVo, thus removing its connection to VM's network.

You're certainly on borrowed time, don't expect this to last forever - but well done so far.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @roblightbody, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to come back to you on here directly, but I just want to confirm that @japitts' final point. If you have directly swapped the old Tivo box, and put the new TV360 in it's place, then it is just a case of time ticking down until it may be de-activated in terms of live TV, which may not work for you.

However, as the recordings are actually stored on the hard drive of the Tivo box, these should remain on there for the forseeable even though it's technically "not active" for Live TV.
I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Tom_W