cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Tivo replacement

BirbL86
Joining in

Mums Tivo box gave the green DVR error screen today. First time. Its working again for now. Engineer booked for next week. I saw on https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-box-not-working-need-a-replaceme...

that tivos are being replaced with V6 boxes. I saw on another post that V6 boxes require Virgin broadband.

We only have Virgin TV, broadband is with TalkTalk.

What can be done if we cant get another Tivo? I can give her my Tivo box, but if that fails, or my dads one..

I would ask on the helpline but after having to use them twice today due to the first engineer booking being booked incorrectly  i am not filled with confidence in using them again.

8 REPLIES 8

BirbL86
Joining in

We have these boxes

BirbL86
Joining in

From https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Unable-to-reboot-box/td-p/5248457

"Your issue will be that TiVo's are no longer replaced, but are swapped for V6 which require VM home broadband - this is a technical requirement."

Does this mean we have to change broadband or tv provider? As long time virgin customers this is very stressful.

bo edit button. can we contact area field manager as stated in the post linked above.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The "edit post" function is available under "post options" in the top-right of your post.

You are correct to conclude that TiVo's are now replaced with V6 which require VM's home broadband, and you shouldn't have been offered a replacement without this. A tech visit to investigate, that's fine - but the DVR error message means a failed HDD so you are delaying the inevitable.

I suggest you wait on this forum for VM staff to respond, this may take a couple of days. But as it stands, yes - you will either need to find an alternative pay-TV supplier, or install VM home broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very disappointing. How can i contact virgin in the uk to discuss this? i dont want to burden the engineer

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can contact Virgin Media on 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone.

There is no UK-specific facility, your call is answered where it's answered - beyond the UK centres opening at 8am so you may get success that way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Righto, frustrating that there is no way to contact the UK tech side.

I am amazed there is no warning about this to Tivo users that dont have Virgin BB. Nothing about no tivo replacements anymore on the account tech support pages that shows our boxes and their status.

Thank you, i await the Virgin staff response.

Hi BirbL86 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about these issues with your mum's TIVO box! 

You are completely correct, sadly the upgraded boxes (V6 and TV360) require a broadband connection in order to work, and we no longer offer new TV only packages on this basis. 

It also would not be an option to simply swap her TIVO box with yours or your dad's as they are provisioned directly with your accounts. 

However I do appreciate this is a concern, and I have empathy for your case so I will send you a PM to see if it is possible to get her box swapped out for another TIVO. I will need to contact the area field manager to request this. Please note I cannot guarantee this is possible at this stage, but I will do everything I can to support with this. 

It's also worth bearing in mind that if we are unable to swap the TIVO to another box and your Mum's package needs to be changed this is something we would need to discuss and complete with her directly as the account holder. You would not be able to do this on her behalf. (We also don't generally support with package changes via the community.)

But as I say, I would like to help so I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details and see what I can do. You can find my PM in your Inbox in the top right corner of the page. 📩

We can return to this public thread with an update when possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime whilst we look into things and offer further support! 

All the best. 🌞

Molly