Menu
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Error Code W02 on ITV1 and Channel 4

We’ve been unable to watch ITV1 or Channel 4 for a week now. Sometimes they come back for a while and then go again with Error Code W02. I have checked all connections and re-booted repeatedly. This seems to be a signal issue at the Virgin Media end. I really would like to avoid spending hours on a helpline for them just to tell me to check my connections and re-boot. Please fix!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error Code W02 on ITV1 and Channel 4

Is this affecting the SD channels or HD ones? You've not said.

ITV-SD is on 113, ITV-HD 103

C4 is in HD on 141, SD-104 everywhere except London, where the reverse applies.

Is anything reported on the automated status line? 0800 5610061

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Both.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Best call faults to report it, in that case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. What’s the best number to use? Won’t they just tell me to check the connections and re-boot, which I’ve done multiple times? From what I’ve read this sort of thing is a problem at the Virgin end.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The standard faults number applies.

150 from a Virgin phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone.

If you have already rebooted your box, tell the agent that. There's nothing different about you rebooting your box to them doing so - if your reboot hasn't cleared this fault, theirs won't make any more difference.

You're likely to either need an engineer visit or replacement box.

0 Kudos
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks.

0 Kudos
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Tried ringing repeatedly. Just going round in circles. Still having this issue. Seems like a capacity issue at Virgin TV end. Could there be something wrong with a street cabinet? I’ve repeatedly done re-boots and cable checks. I’m not sure how these things work but surely if it was my box it would be on all channels but it’s only ITV and C4. Paying a lot of money for this terrible service. Seriously considering changing to Sky TV. Can’t they boost the signal or something?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Pndwebster wrote:

Tried ringing repeatedly. Just going round in circles. Still having this issue. Seems like a capacity issue at Virgin TV end.

Broadcast TV channels use a broadcast transmission method, they don't use streaming like Netflix, iPlayer etc - capacity doesn't come into it in the same way.

@Pndwebster wrote:

I’m not sure how these things work but surely if it was my box it would be on all channels but it’s only ITV and C4

Not necessarily. Digital TV platforms carry channels in "clusters" known as muxes. These don't necessarily bear any resemblance to their EPG positions, but a signal fault that affects one particular frequency will affect all the channels on that mux. Looking at your previous posts, one particular broadcast mux carries the following channels, and I wouldn't bet against this being the issue...

ITV-HD, C4-SD, C4+1 (SD), ITV+1 (SD), C4-HD

@Pndwebster wrote:

Can’t they boost the signal or something?

When you call and speak to a faults agent, they can run remote diagnostics that may identify a fault in your box, or may not. Depending on the outcome of that, they will either arrange a replacement box or an engineer visit. If it's an engineer visit, then they could end up check your cabling all the way from your box to the street cabinet, if necessary.

0 Kudos
Pndwebster
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Very informative. Thanks.

0 Kudos