cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code C501 more frequent!!!

subseauk
Tuning in

Hi am getting the Error Code 501 more and more frequently and the only way to resolve it is to power cycle the box. There are never any error messages or service outages shown and if you follow the abysmal instructions on Virgingmedia.com it just leads you in circles.

Surely this support tree should have been updated a long time ago and made easier to contact virgin and get the required level of support in a reasonable time?

I am getting to the point of chucking the whole service and going somewhere where you get what you pay for.

Totally disgusted!!!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First thing - please confirm you have a TiVo and not a V6? Check here if you're not sure.

I ask because the TiVo has its internet connection inbuilt, and not having a 'net connection is the first thing to check with this sort of error. On the front-left of a TiVo, there's 3 green LEDs. Next to one is a heartbeat symbol - this light represents the internet connection. Flashing is bad, solid on is good.

What is yours doing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jude2
Dialled in

i got up this morning to find Apps not  working, although i could watch Live tv and some catchup (if i went via the tv guide) when i checked first thing service status page says no issues🤔 . However now it shows that code 501 is an issue nationally and should be fixed by 12.15pm today.  So it might be fixed soon.  🙂

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jude2  You're correct to say this has just been raised as a national fault - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/VOD-501-Error/td-p/4773218 

@subseauk  - You mentioned you've had this issue for a while, so I'd suggest waiting until this national fault is rectified before retrying - you may have another fault. Checking your "online" light as suggested, won't do any harm.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, I actually have  a V6 by the look of it as I have a separate SuperHub 3.

I can get access to Netflix and other Apps etc via the search menu but not directly via the Apps menu.

All the connections are tight and there have been no error messages or network interruptions shown anywhere and the lights are all solid on everything.

I have power downed and rebooted several times and it has done no good so what next??

Thanks

I can get access to Netflix and other Apps etc via the search menu but not directly via the Apps menu.

All the connections are tight and there have been no error messages or network interruptions shown anywhere and the lights are all solid on everything.

I have power downed and rebooted several times and it has done no good so what next??

There was no "national" message on virgin when I checked!!

Thanks

I have power downed and rebooted several times and it has done no good so what next as I have not seen any national error messages on vigin??

To suggest waiting for a National Error message is not very helpful as this still does nothing for the lack of service and support

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're not sure which TV box you have, you can check here - the TiVo & V6 run the same software but are very different in hardware, the internet connectivity being one major difference. You can have a TiVo & a Superhub 3, but you need to have VM broadband to have a V6.

Given the difference in connectivity, there's several things that could be causing your issues - and while there's a "major" issue happening it would be impossible to troubleshoot - in your specific case - when the "national fault" stops and your "specific issues" start. The VM Forum staff posted about the national issue here and have since confirmed it is resolved. We can therefore now take a look at your individual issues.

Also by means of general advice, this is primarily a user-community forum where the first responders are quite often fellow customers like myself. VM staff will join in when this community support has been exhausted or otherwise asked to by a (for example) VIP user.

On the assumption that you do indeed have a V6 box, then the internet connection comes via your homehub. How is yours connected - WiFi or Ethernet? If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, your V6 will report its connectivity status in the top-right. What do you see?