cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading TV Apps - ITV X

Drumster53
Tuning in

I have a SONY Brava Android TV (Approx 5 years old) and a VM Tivo Box.

Q. Why is it I cant download some of the TV apps advertised? Trying to load up ITX but neither TV or Tivo box will give me the option to download! Thanks in Anticipation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Drumster53 

The Tivo, along with VM's newer boxes, the V6 and TV360 are closed systems and aren't able to download apps. 

Any new apps available for the VM set top boxes are specifically made by the broadcasters  and added via an over the air update.

The older Tivo box is rather slow and doesn't have the necessary memory to run some of the newer apps such as ITVX and Amazon Prime.

If you also have broadband with VM you should see about swapping to a V6 box which has both of those apps available.

If you wanted access to the Disney + app then you would need to swap out your existing Tivo to the newer 360 box.

As to your android TV, you could liken it to some of the older android mobiles and tablets.  It would depend on which version of the android operating you were using as to if particular apps such as ITVX were available. Have you searched the google play store to see if it's available for download?

Availability info below through checking the Sony website:-  https://www.sony.co.uk/ITVX 

Models where ITVX is available from January 2023:

• 2022 Sony’s Google TVs: X80K, X81K, X82K, X85K, X89K, X90S, X90K, X92K, X93K, X94K, X95K, A75K, A80K, A83K, A84K, A90K, A95K, Z9K Series
  • 2021 Sony’s Google TVs: X80J, X81J, X82J, X85J, X89J, X90J, X92J, X93J, X94J, X95J, A80J, A83J, A84J, A90J and Z9J Series
  • 2022 Sony’s Android TVs: X72K and X73K Series
  • 2021 Sony’s Android TVs: W800 Series
  • 2020 Sony’s Android TVs: XH90 and XH92 Series
  • 2020 Sony's Android TVs: XH80, XH81, XH85, XH91, XH95, ZH8, A8 and A9 Series
  • 2019 Sony's Android TVs: XG85, XG87, XG95, ZG9 and AG9 Series
  • 2018 Sony's Android TVs: AF9 and ZF9 Series

Models where ITVX is available from 20 March 2023:

• 2019 Sony's Android TVs: XG80, XG81, XG83, XG90 and AG8 Series
  • 2018 Sony's Android TVs: XF75, XF80, XF83, XF85, XF87, XF90 and AF8 Series
  • 2017 Sony's Android TVs: XE80, XE83, XE85, XE90, XE93, XE94 and A1 Series
  • 2016 Sony's Android TVs: XD70, XD75, XD80, SD80, XD83 and ZD9 Series
  • 2016 Sony's Android TVs: SD85, XD85, XD93 and XD94 Series
  • 2015 Sony's Android TVs: W75C, W80C, W85C, S80C, S85C, X80C, X83C, X85C, X90C, X91C, X93C and X94C Series
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Drumster53 

The Tivo, along with VM's newer boxes, the V6 and TV360 are closed systems and aren't able to download apps. 

Any new apps available for the VM set top boxes are specifically made by the broadcasters  and added via an over the air update.

The older Tivo box is rather slow and doesn't have the necessary memory to run some of the newer apps such as ITVX and Amazon Prime.

If you also have broadband with VM you should see about swapping to a V6 box which has both of those apps available.

If you wanted access to the Disney + app then you would need to swap out your existing Tivo to the newer 360 box.

As to your android TV, you could liken it to some of the older android mobiles and tablets.  It would depend on which version of the android operating you were using as to if particular apps such as ITVX were available. Have you searched the google play store to see if it's available for download?

Availability info below through checking the Sony website:-  https://www.sony.co.uk/ITVX 

Models where ITVX is available from January 2023:

• 2022 Sony’s Google TVs: X80K, X81K, X82K, X85K, X89K, X90S, X90K, X92K, X93K, X94K, X95K, A75K, A80K, A83K, A84K, A90K, A95K, Z9K Series
  • 2021 Sony’s Google TVs: X80J, X81J, X82J, X85J, X89J, X90J, X92J, X93J, X94J, X95J, A80J, A83J, A84J, A90J and Z9J Series
  • 2022 Sony’s Android TVs: X72K and X73K Series
  • 2021 Sony’s Android TVs: W800 Series
  • 2020 Sony’s Android TVs: XH90 and XH92 Series
  • 2020 Sony's Android TVs: XH80, XH81, XH85, XH91, XH95, ZH8, A8 and A9 Series
  • 2019 Sony's Android TVs: XG85, XG87, XG95, ZG9 and AG9 Series
  • 2018 Sony's Android TVs: AF9 and ZF9 Series

Models where ITVX is available from 20 March 2023:

• 2019 Sony's Android TVs: XG80, XG81, XG83, XG90 and AG8 Series
  • 2018 Sony's Android TVs: XF75, XF80, XF83, XF85, XF87, XF90 and AF8 Series
  • 2017 Sony's Android TVs: XE80, XE83, XE85, XE90, XE93, XE94 and A1 Series
  • 2016 Sony's Android TVs: XD70, XD75, XD80, SD80, XD83 and ZD9 Series
  • 2016 Sony's Android TVs: SD85, XD85, XD93 and XD94 Series
  • 2015 Sony's Android TVs: W75C, W80C, W85C, S80C, S85C, X80C, X83C, X85C, X90C, X91C, X93C and X94C Series
Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Wow!!

Many thanks for a very quick and informative answer, really appreciated.

Will take a look and check out my system.

Bst rgds. John.

Having read your message and made further Investigations this morning I have discovered TV is capable of downloading the ITVX app but as it does not have a "direct digital connection" to Cable or Aerial it will not download.  Not possible to download through the TIVO box!

My current TIVO box is not compatible with the ITVX app as its not possible to view, select or download.

You suggested swapping out the TIVO to a V6 box through VM - I will enquire but I bet they will want some form of payment!

A suggestion from the SONY website is to download the "Bravia TV software/firmware Updates" to USB and then carry out a TV update via the USB stick.

Not sure if this process will allow me to select and install any new apps (ITVX etc) during that update process - Any thoughts?

Many thanks John F

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again John,

I'm afraid the VM boxes are closed systems and asper my other post it's not possible to download either the  ITVX and Amazon Prime apps to that device, however they are both available on the newer V6 box.  The V6 box runs the same Tivi interface as your current box, but it's a lot faster, even iPlayer would work better, it can also record up to 6 programs at a time.

The TIVO's are no longer sold by VM so if your current box developed a fault then providing you also have broadband with VM then they would swap it out for free to a V6 box.

VM introduced a newer box the 360 which is now given to all new customers. It runs on the Horizon interface rather than Tivo, so a big difference to what you are used to. Some people love it, some hate it. It's  like marmite. I'm happy with it.  The 360 has the Disney + app which isn't available on either the Tivo or V6, and will also shortly (well some time this year) be receiving  the  Paramount + app.

You can read about some of the differences between the V6 and 360 box on <<< this thread >>> 

So, should yuor TIVO breakdown and you do have broadband with Vm you would get a free swap to V6.  Otherwise you would need to decide if yuo want a V6 or 360 box and negotiate a new deal and ask for a free swap as part of the new deal/contract.

You could also consider getting a firestick which has all the latest apps. If you decide to take that route then keep an eye on Amazon from Monday 27th March until Wednesday 29th March as they are having their spring sale then and the firesticks will be reduced in price.

@Drumster53 wrote:

A suggestion from the SONY website is to download the "Bravia TV software/firmware Updates" to USB and then carry out a TV update via the USB stick.

Not sure if this process will allow me to select and install any new apps (ITVX etc) during that update process - Any thoughts?

Many thanks John F

You should update your TV by USB stick as that will more than likely mean you'll receive an updated Playstore as well. You won't be able to install any more apps as part of that process, however once the update has finished it should prompt you to update any apps you already have installed, and then you may then find ITVX and other apps are available to download from the Playstore.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @Drumster53 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I'll send you a PM now regarding replacing the TiVo®

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Much appreciated. Thankyou.