Menu
Thatley
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connect V6 Box to TiVo Box via Powerlines for Streaming

Hi,

Just had a TiVo V6 box installed to replace TiVo 1TB Box.
Looking at all the stuff online and help videos on TiVo, it says it's possible to connect the two boxes for streaming recorded content  from one to the other (even the install engineer says it's possible).  I've kept my original TiVo box to do this as I have powerlines to set this up.  My scenario below:

Living Room:
V6 Box connected to coaxial cable and Ethernet cable straight to superhub. Superhub has a powerline connection to electrics.

Bedroom:
TiVo Box connected via Ethernet to powerline. Powerlines are talking as tested laptop connected to internet/can ping superhub etc.

Problem:
Fired up the bedroom TiVo but keeps saying "Starting Up" but doesn't go any further (obviously as there's no coaxial connection I guess), but nothing in the diagrams on net say you need this just to stream recorded content. I don't want to watch live TV, just streamed stuff as don't want another coaxial cable running outside the house (or inside for that matter.)

Is there any way past this? Does it eventually time out and let me go to the setup menus? I've waited over 30 minutes but nothing happens. The bedroom TiVo doesn't even register in my router with an IP address so guessing it's not even getting to that point to pick up DHCP broadcast.

Is this setup possible? Or is it poor documentation descriptions online / or on virgin help videos?

Many thanks, any advice much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connect V6 Box to TiVo Box via Powerlines for Streaming

You still a coax connection for any STB. The network connection is in addition to the coax, and not instead of it.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Thatley
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh crap. Thanks for the info Ben.

I think the VM videos and web pages should state this clearly as it's a little misleading.

Guess I'll have to enquire how much this will cost me for VM to come and cable.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Neither mention it, because you shouldn't ever be left in a position where a box you're paying for doesn't already have a coax connection as they don't work without it.

I'm trying to work out why the engineer left you with the TiVo box without a coax point. Normally if the order includes moving an existing box to another room they'll do any appropriate extra work required to get the coax in the room you've chosen for the other box. Or they'll take the existing box with them if you the work order says that you're not keeping it.

In regards to cost it all now depends on the state of your account. If you'd had it done at the same time as the Virgin TV V6 install, it wouldn't have cost anything extra in the one off costs, and it would be an extra £7.50 a month to run the additional box.

However as I don't know if the box is listed as still being active, I'm not sure what'll need to be done to resolve this. A visit from an engineer outside of a service change e.g. to install a coax point without a new box being part of that order, is normally £99.

You'll need to speak to Customer Services and see what state the account is in, and what options you now have to get your existing box wired up to coax in another room.
cr1100
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ref. your problem with a V6 box and connection to an existing Tivo. I recently had one of my Tivo boxes changed for a V6, according to the user manual supplied with the V6, it should be possible to view shows recorded on the old Tivo to be viewed on the V6.

This is NOT so, i had a visit from a Virgin Tech.who assured me that the old Tivos CANNOT be linked by Eternet to allow communication. This is most disappointing, since I have a number of archived recordings on the Tivo that I can now only view at  it's location in a room remote from the main TV.

My network is all connected by Cat5 wiring and functions perfectly for computer use.

As far as the TV program connection, this is only possible if a Co-ax cable is connected to the Virgin feed via a splitter and then to the "F" connector on the Tivo.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Older TiVo boxes can be connected via Ethernet to allow box to box streaming. But this does not replace the need for a coax connection in order for the box to work.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

cr1100 wrote:

Ref. your problem with a V6 box and connection to an existing Tivo. I recently had one of my Tivo boxes changed for a V6, according to the user manual supplied with the V6, it should be possible to view shows recorded on the old Tivo to be viewed on the V6.

This is NOT so, i had a visit from a Virgin Tech.who assured me that the old Tivos CANNOT be linked by Eternet to allow communication. This is most disappointing, since I have a number of archived recordings on the Tivo that I can now only view at  it's location in a room remote from the main TV.

My network is all connected by Cat5 wiring and functions perfectly for computer use.

As far as the TV program connection, this is only possible if a Co-ax cable is connected to the Virgin feed via a splitter and then to the "F" connector on the Tivo.

I also had one of my Tivos replaced by a V6 and the other left in place. My connections are primarily ethernet, although the V6 will work with just a WiFi connection. Both boxes have separate co-ax connections and my network is a mixture of  Cat 5 and Cat 6 cabling connected together and to the SH2 by a number of  switches. 

I have watched recordings on the V6 from the Tivo and vice-versa while both boxes are connected via ethernet. My current network set-up means that the WiFi connection to the V6 is off and ethernet only is used by both boxes.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
jljohnson
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hundred quid this offshore person quoted me. even though it was on my install list with the v6 installation.

0 Kudos