cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up services crashing

colinjowitt2000
Tuning in

Anybody got any tips for watching catch up on my tivo box, iplayer has always been a pain as it freezes and I can rarely get through a 30 minute programme without it happening at least once. All4 is the same, I don't watch catch up very often because of these problems.

When watching all4 it tells me that the cable is not connected and brings up a error code W02. If I leave it a few minutes it fixes but then fails again after 10-15 minutes with the same error code. All the cables are connected correctly. 

I have just renewed my contract and the guy from customer retentions (I had given notice and was changing to sky) said he would look into upgrading my equipment when I mentioned the problems but I haven't heard anything for several weeks

Watching live TV is not affected and the internet is fine

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First off, do you have a TiVo or a V6? It's not clear from parts of your post which you have, and whilst they run the same TiVo-software, they have very different connectivity advice.

If you're not sure, please check here - also, when you say "All-4", do you mean the C4-branded streaming app (not available on TiVo) or do you mean normal  C4-OnDemand programmes that are just branded as "All-4"?

@colinjowitt2000 wrote:

I have just renewed my contract and the guy from customer retentions (I had given notice and was changing to sky) said he would look into upgrading my equipment when I mentioned the problems but I haven't heard anything for several weeks

Watching live TV is not affected and the internet is fine

Depending on the confirmation of which TV box you have, there's many answers here too.

1: "Look into upgrading" - easy to say, but why didn't he just do it there & then? Sounds like a very woolly bit of sales-talk to me when an equipment change could easily just be done.

2: If you have a TiVo, then a swap to a V6 is an obvious upgrade and covered by my point 1 above, assuming you have VM broadband. If you have a V6 already, then the only change - and calling it an upgrade would be the subject of some debate - would be to a 360. But this is just a software change on the same box, and is a complete red herring if there's a fault somewhere. Which your symptoms all point towards.

3; You've mentioned live TV being ok, but also quoted W02, which is usually a loss-of-live-TV error code.

Confirm which box you have (use my link above), and some firmer advice can follow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @colinjowitt2000, and I'm sorry to hear of the issues with the Catch Up services.

Are you possibly able to give us an update after you've be given the very helpful post from @japitts?

On top of this, it may be worth running through this online step-by-step guide to help you fix this matter at your own leisure

Can you also confirm if you're connecting the set top box to the broadband connection via Wi-Fi or via an Ethernet cable?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Hi, It is a tivo box which I have had for many years. 

I rarely watch catch up because of the problems but from the services I have tried they all have issues. Some are worse than others freeezing after 5-10 mins

The W02 error message only appears on the channel 4 services, the iplayer just completely freezes and then tells me the service is not available.

The tivo box is connected via an ethernet cable

The gentleman that mentioned that he would look into getting my equipment upgrad was from the retentions team, I really think his priority was to stop me from leaving. Once I said I would stay his job was done and problems with my equipment probably aren't anything to do with him.

To be honest, I was just glad to be speaking to someone based in the UK as my experience with the offshore call centres has been terrible.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a TiVo then the Ethernet connection is only used for multiroom streaming and has no involvement with the internet.

The TiVo's internet connection is in-built & separate from your home broadband. On the front-left of the box, does the middle "heartbeat" light flash when you have problems with OnDemand? That's a sign of a failed internal modem and thus no internet connection.

W02 is also a classic "loss of TV signal" error. When you say it "only appears on Channel 4 services", do you mean C4-SD on 104? C4-HD on 141? Or another channel from C4?

I do suspect a fault somewhere between your cabling & TiVo, from what you're describing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi colinjowitt2000,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

Sorry for any issues faced with catch up, to clarify are you facing issues with just C4 as @japitts stated or any channel?

Let us know,

Kain