Menu
stuartgrn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you "record" catch up onto hard drive?

I am moving over to virgin tivo from sky. With sky on demand you choose the catch up programme and it downloads onto the box for you to watch at your leisure. its a nice feature as some catch up programs are only available for a short time. Can tivo do this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can you "record" catch up onto hard drive?

Sorry no. Because Virgin Media's On Demand doesn't need to be downloaded due to the way it works, you can't extend the catch up availability.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

stuartgrn wrote:

I am moving over to virgin tivo from sky. With sky on demand you choose the catch up programme and it downloads onto the box for you to watch at your leisure. its a nice feature as some catch up programs are only available for a short time. Can tivo do this?

Tivo would be a lot better if it could do this.  We then wouldn't get the buffering/stuttering issues when using iPlayer;. Hope you're aware of this issue before you make the switch.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mr_K wrote:

stuartgrn wrote:

Tivo would be a lot better if it could do this.  We then wouldn't get the buffering/stuttering issues when using iPlayer;. Hope you're aware of this issue before you make the switch.

Not possible as the TiVO uses an internet app to access the iPlayer & not an linear MPEG2 TV stream as with the other VM content. On all the other boxes, you can hook up a DVD recorder & record the BBC catch-up content, but all other OD content is again covered by MRS & is macrovision encrypted. 

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lmayhead
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is a "feature" that I have just discovered having just moved from Sky - very unimpressed as this undocumented downside of the Tivo service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

lmayhead wrote:

This is a "feature" that I have just discovered having just moved from Sky - very unimpressed as this undocumented downside of the Tivo service.

Sorry, do you expect Virgin Media, or Sky, BT, TalkTalk, to document in detail what their service does not provide?

0 Kudos
milodog
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have to sympathies with stuartgrn as an ex Sky user. On Demand is useful, however, I usually want to watch the program at my convenience not in the limited window Virgin imposes. Programs disappear after a certain time if they are there at all [Killjoys season 2 episode 4 as an example].

woot1456
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi that’s ok saying you can watch on catch up, but what if you were on holiday and missed the seven day deadline?

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

woot1456 wrote:

Hi that’s ok saying you can watch on catch up, but what if you were on holiday and missed the seven day deadline?

You would have missed the period to download it then also so set up a Wishlist for a potential repeat or don't worry about it and enjoy your holiday

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

woot1456 wrote:

Basically hard luck.

The broadcaster decides how long the programme is available. Providers like VM are only responsible for delivering the broadcasters content.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos