Menu
vittj
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can't playback CH 4 AD recordings

We have recorded a bunch of programs on CH 4 AD (#854) that we are watching between 2 and 6 weeks after they were recorded. We watched 2 of them yesterday but today our Tivo box won't play any of them back to us, not even the ones we recorded yesterday. It did however playback the one we recorded earlier today. The "help" desk told us that it is a copyright issue and that they are lost for ever. This sounds like I'm being given the runaround. Since when did the Countdown episode broadcast on Tuesday 28th May 2019 be out of copyright on Wednesday 29th May? Has anybody got any ideas about how I can see them?
0 Kudos
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't playback CH 4 AD recordings

Try again. It's working here

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its not a copyright issue, its a channel ID issue on the network.

Channel 4 recently regionalised its HD service to target advertising. The same has now hapened to Channel 4 AD. This means there are now several different regions of this channel on the network & you only get the one targetted at your area. All these versions have to have different channel IDs. As a result if the box sees the old version as not exisitng on the network it will block plaback of any recordings using that ID.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
vittj
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We found that we could playback the recorded programs later on. Frankly, it reinforced my view that I was being given the run-around. I have no idea why a recording saved to a hard drive should be identified as anything other than a file to be replayed by the software built into the box, however since such IDing is only done for the benefit of Virgin and/or their suppliers, it is incumbent upon Virgin to keep on top of such things. Thankfully, the problem was fixed and we have been able to access our backlog of Countdown episodes – Rachel Riley is not to be missed!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@vittj wrote:

We found that we could playback the recorded programs later on. Frankly, it reinforced my view that I was being given the run-around. I have no idea why a recording saved to a hard drive should be identified as anything other than a file to be replayed by the software built into the box, however since such IDing is only done for the benefit of Virgin and/or their suppliers, it is incumbent upon Virgin to keep on top of such things. Thankfully, the problem was fixed and we have been able to access our backlog of Countdown episodes – Rachel Riley is not to be missed!

You rent the box. Also the recordings on it are only licenced for time shift purposes. If you cease to subscribe to a channel you also lose the right to view recordings from that channel. These rules are set by the broadcasters, not Virgin.

The channel IDs is a technical issue & is directly related to the way the digital TV platform works. All the regional variants are pumped through the core network. These all have to have seperate IDs so that the regional headends know which version to extract & insert onto the local networks us customers use. There is no way round this, so the box sees recordings from the former national channel as a no longer subscribed service.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

vittj
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

You rent the box. Also the recordings on it are only licenced for time shift purposes. If you cease to subscribe to a channel you also lose the right to view recordings from that channel. These rules are set by the broadcasters, not Virgin.

The channel IDs is a technical issue & is directly related to the way the digital TV platform works. All the regional variants are pumped through the core network. These all have to have seperate IDs so that the regional headends know which version to extract & insert onto the local networks us customers use. There is no way round this, so the box sees recordings from the former national channel as a no longer subscribed service.

Whilst it might be interesting to know of the technical details behind a recording, it is of little interest to someone who can't watch a program that had been recorded the previous day. That is not what could be described as a satisfactory customer experience. Fortunately, it would appear that someone at Virgin Media who does understand these things fixed it

0 Kudos