Menu
recycledelf
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can't load recordings on 2nd box

Everything has been set up by the Virgin Engineer, but I cannot view my recordings on the second box (bedroom box), even when selecting the main living room box from the menu.

There are 2 scenarios;

1 - the living room box shows up with an exclamation mark and cannot be opened at all

or

2 - the box shows up correctly, the recordings show up, but then fail to playback once a show is selected.

Most common error shown is V401. Thanks all

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't load recordings on 2nd box

Is one of the boxes using WiFi, as flaky WiFi connections are the usual cause of 401 errors.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
recycledelf
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the second box (bedroom upstairs) is wi-fi. Any ideas on how to resolve this at all?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi recycledelf,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

It depends on how far away from the hub the second box is. If it's too far to use an Ethernet cable then the next best thing would be powerline adapters.

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sjholland
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Josh_RW wrote:

It depends on how far away from the hub the second box is. 

I have found that to do this on my second V6 box you need wifi strength of at least 30-40 mbs in the second room.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi uses 2 RF bands.

2.4Ghz travels through walls well, but what goes through your walls can also go through your neighbours as well. Hence this band is usually overcrowded which slows the connection to a point where streaming becomes intermittent.

5Ghz is a lot weaker, so does not have the problems above. It also uses a wider data channel.

In short you should try to connect the box via 5Ghz WiFi. If you still get the same problem then some kind of direct wiring (Ethernet or Powerline) is the only option.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
recycledelf
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your reply. It's a bit double dutch to me so I will call Virgin up and see if they can talk me through it as I wouldn't know where to start. Thank you for your advice

0 Kudos
recycledelf
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I am going to ring Virgin as I'm a complete novice :-)

0 Kudos
recycledelf
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh, it's the bedroom directly above the main box, literally same position but too far for the cable. I will contact Virgin to ask about the adapters you have suggested. Thanks for your advice

0 Kudos