cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Tivo to PC

AnsteySteve
On our wavelength

I have a lot of recordings on my TiVo box that I would be extremely disappointed to lose if the box stops working as has happened in the past. Is there any way of backing up the recordings to my PC or other storage device ?

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The short answer is no.

Recording onto all VM TV boxes is intended for timeshifting of viewing and not long-term storage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that would be the answer 😕

Hi AnsteySteve

Sadly this is not possible as explained already 

The USB port is not connected at and all recordings are encrypted so that only the TiVo box can decode them 

Gareth_L

Thanks for confirming.

asim18
Fibre optic

Yeah I've been looking at cheap HDMI capture cards for backing up TiVo recordings.

I'm not sure why VM is so locked down, as long as you pay the TV licence they say you are allowed to record a broadcast on whatever device you like as long as its for your own personal viewing. On the old Samsung V+ boxes they even had an option for transferring recordings to VHS over the SCART connection.

Thanks. I have actually found a way of playing recorded programmes on the TiVo box and recording them on a DVD recorder I have. It works but the quality is not quite as good and it is a slow process as it has to be done in real time so takes as long as the recordings last. It would be so much easier to just be able to back them up to another device. Am I right in thinking that it is only in the UK that Virgin have disabled most of the sockets ?