Menu
rgcross
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer Buffering

Hello,

Please can you check my service because iPlayer is stop-starting, and it's driving everyone crazy. Broadband is coming in OK at 70mbps.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

dymjim
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer Buffering

Your not the only one with problems with BBC iplayer been happening all night

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi rgcross, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with buffering on the iPlayer app. 

Have you found this happening any other apps such as YouTube or the Catch Up and On Demand content? 

Checking the stats on the box, things are looking in good order in terms of power levels and signal. 

I can see the box has been online for a while and during that time a few timeouts have built up. This won't be good for the box so a full reboot with help speed things up. Turn it off at the mains for a few minutes then power back on. 

Have you noticed any difference? 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the IPlayer buffering club.
Mine started doing it 2 weeks ago.
0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F
Could you check my Tivo box please I've been having issues with buffering on a few occasions with BBC iPlayer.
It has also switched itself off a few times in to what appears to be standby. I have asked about latter in a different post but with no response.

Regards

TF
0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

IPlayer is becoming unusable. Never mind the slow opening time, I consistently get Programme not Available, but load it up on a smart TV, Amazon Fire, whatever, it is there. Once you get into a programme, it always buffers before playing, frequently stutters somewhere and often starts buffering and then says, Something went wrong...Groan.

teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You'd think a Mod on here would at least answer this problem as it seems very common.
In the past the mods have really been on the ball with problem solving, but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi rgcross,

Thank you for sending the requested details via PM. I have been able to complete testing to your TiVo® and everything looks as it should. I'm not seeing any issues with the TiVo®--signal levels are good, there are no timeout errors or hard-drive issues seen. 

From your PM, it sounds like the Red Button was pressed when you were rewinding a live programme. When this happens, the screen will freeze until the menu is cleared.  

The issue with the BBC iPlayer loading slowly is being investigated by our technicians. At this time, we suggest trying the following to help speed up your TiVo® response time: 

Home - Help & Settings - Clear or Reset TiVo box - Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions - Enter Pin -To proceed - press Thumbs Down three times and then "LAST Ch" button on the remote.

We apologise for the inconvenience this causes. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, the reply to rgcross won't help at all (BTW you don't need to enter a PIN) as I've tried this every so often, even though suggestions & ratings are turned off, to no effect. I also reboot the box most days and it still can't play iPlayer on any consistent basis. It's ridiculous that Virgin can't correct this continual crashing, hanging, failing to find programmes, as it works everywhere else I've tried.

0 Kudos
Jono777
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

They obviously don't care. Virgin is just a floating **bleep** I cant wait to flush away at the end of my contract. SHAME on you VIRGIN! Cant wait to get back to SKY.