cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC I player problems

paul243
On our wavelength

I Player is unwatchable on my Tivo. It freezes about every minute for several seconds. 

Also why are so many of my recordings only available on I Player and no simple recordings?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul243 wrote:

I Player is unwatchable on my Tivo. It freezes about every minute for several seconds. 

The TiVo box is quite old now, and whilst remaining perfectly serviceable, the iPlayer app was never its strong point. Certainly better to record your programmes if possible, than rely on the app.

Having said that, do you see any flashing green lights on the front-left of your TiVo when you have problems? That could indicate the inbuilt 'net connection has failed, and anything that uses the internet will have issues then.

@paul243 wrote:

Also why are so many of my recordings only available on I Player and no simple recordings?

Recordings are just that - recordings, they are stored on your hard drive. The iPlayer is a streaming app. The two are different beasts - although if you have OnDemand "bookmarks", they do intentionally look & feel like recordings within your "my shows" view.

There's two ways you could have these "recordings"..

1: You've manually created one, by finding a programme in the EPG and choosing "create bookmark"

2: Having a series link that includes streaming videos as well as recordings, and there's no recordable episodes currently available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

paul243
On our wavelength

Thanks,

Perhaps I have not explained myself correctly.

My point is that I set up to record a future programme and then find that the only option to view is via I Player, which is unwatchable.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you've set a recording, then if that programme is broadcast it should be recorded and there's no need to use the iPlayer app.

Do you have any specific examples of where this has happened?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

paul243
On our wavelength

Again I have not explained clearly! 

I record a programme from the guide ,when I come to view the ONLY option is to view via I player, which freezes.

I am not using the app .I'm simply recording.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like there's maybe some mixup between recordings & VoD bookmarks. If you're setting a recording, that's different to a streaming app by definition.

If you're using the "create bookmark" option this just creates a shortcut to VoD and puts it in your "My shows" folder.

If you're setting a recording, this will be listed in "My planned recordings" until the time.

Do you have a specific example or two?

paul243
On our wavelength
Sorry, don't understand VoD bookmark

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A "Video On Demand" bookmark is a TiVo function whereby you can put a shortcut to an OnDemand programme in your "My Shows" folder. It is consequently listed alongside recordings, and plays like a recording - but is just a shortcut to VoD. The "look and feel" intentionally feels like a recording. I suspect this is what you are inadvertently doing.

I'll pick a working example - "Scotland's sacred islands" due for broadcast 1900 on Thursday 3rd March - not broadcast yet, but originally shown on 19th Oct 2021 (hence should be on VoD already).

Select the programme via "search and explore", and you have an option to "record this episode" which will do what it says. You then have an option for "bookmark in my shows" - I will post a screenshot of this shortly (as an edit to this post). Refer to my advice above, and in my previous post-2, for further explanation.

Edited to add some (very shaky and low-resolution) pictures of the two options...

SCAR_Screenshot_769499734844257.jpg

SCAR_Screenshot_769504374199946.jpg

paul243
On our wavelength

Thank you for you input and time.

I am not bookmarking, I am simply asking why when I come to view a recorded programme some have only the I player option to view.

Also they may have a different symbol showing on "my shows" list, a "folder" symbol as opposed to a recorded symbol.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Folder symbols on a single programme is not atypical of bookmarks, depending on the specifics.

I cannot emphasise enough, that recordings and VoD bookmarks only share how they appear in your "my shows" list, they are otherwise different things. I suspect what you are doing is, as per my worked example - setting a recording for a programme yet to be broadcast but is a repeat. You're then finding a VoD bookmark to the previous showing,

Perhaps if you could provide a specific example, it would help. Pictures of the resulting "My Shows" view would be useful too. Post some photos, give specific examples - that's the only way we're going to crack this.