Menu
GROBTIV
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BBC HD Channels Pixelating

Since about the beginning of February 2019 and possibly co-inciding with the rearrangement  of several  BBC HD channels I have  begun to experience  intermittant pixelation on several HD Channels. This usually takes the form of  a broad pixelated line across the width of picture  or a moving  face in close up pixelates. It appears to to take place more often at periods of peak viewing.  My TIVO BOX  is more than 5 years old but has performed without fault during that time. The Television picture is perfect when switched to an aerial signal during these episodes. I have consulted a couple of friends who are TV engineers and they both felt it was related to the Virgin service.  Their theories ranged from decreased bandwidth with greater HD allocation, poor signal strength or a Tivo Box that's past its sell by date.  Do I need a new BOX- I could self install if necessary? Or do I need an engineers visit? Or is it something else?  I would be grateful for comments.

p.s. I have been a customer since the days of Telewest in 2006.

G

0 Kudos
PrinterElf
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC HD Channels Pixelating

You may need either a) signal levels assessing, or b) a new box.

Yes, that can be self-installed assuming the box alone is all that needs a swap.

0 Kudos
GROBTIV
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Does seem strange it dates from that  BBC HD CHANNEL shuffle around?  Which is the best avenue in to Virgin Media  to get a  successful fix implemented = signal check or new box?

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@GROBTIV wrote:

Thanks for that. Does seem strange it dates from that  BBC HD CHANNEL shuffle around?  Which is the best avenue in to Virgin Media  to get a  successful fix implemented = signal check or new box?

It depends what you mean by best..

Quickest, but it means dealing with the awful IVR and potentially offshore CS: Call into 150/0345 4541111

Easiest, but means waiting for the forum team and potentially playing PM ping-pong: Wait for forum team to pick up your message.

If I've got a service-affecting fault, I know what I'd prefer.

0 Kudos
Franm
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, but it affects all HD channels. I called Virgin and was advised to disconnect the aerial, switch the box off at the back, leave it for 15 seconds and then reconnect/ switch on. This certainly resolves the problem but the issue is recurring most days, so I can’t rely on the HD service when recording programmes. I did ask the advisor what caused the problem but I couldn’t understand his accent very well, so I could only gather it was something to do with the signal. I haven’t had the chance to contact them again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey GROBTIV 

Thanks for your post, sorry to hear that you're having these issues with your TV. I appreciate that's frustrating when you want to watch and it's not doing as it should.  We'd like to take a look in to this for you, so I will private message you to get some more info and we'll go from there 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

0 Kudos
GROBTIV
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

PM'd as requested .

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Franm wrote:

I have the same problem, but it affects all HD channels. I called Virgin and was advised to disconnect the aerial, switch the box off at the back, leave it for 15 seconds and then reconnect/ switch on. This certainly resolves the problem but the issue is recurring most days, so I can’t rely on the HD service when recording programmes. I did ask the advisor what caused the problem but I couldn’t understand his accent very well, so I could only gather it was something to do with the signal. I haven’t had the chance to contact them again.

Thoroughly OT for this thread, but I'm beginning to wonder if the offshore CS are targeted to resolve a call but not necessarily resolve the issue if it takes longer. I'm sure VM would deny this, and would be quick to say all CS have the same targets, but there's too many repetitive comments on here along these lines, for my liking.

0 Kudos
GROBTIV
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just as a follow up to this thread, my problem appears to be solved thanks to the Virgin media team

Hollie_B , Tom_S , and Ben_N

Signal levels  appeared  to be  OK when tested but  fix was to replace my old Tivo box with  the new V6 box.

PIcture back to normal--- again.

0 Kudos
Franm
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update. We had a very helpful engineer who also suggested switching to the new box but I understand that the router has to be nearby and ours is two floors above. Once we’ve cleared all the recorded programmes from the Tivo I think we will have to look again at the options as I think it may be the only way to resolve the problem.

0 Kudos