Menu
JR66
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC 1 HD sound very loud

Recently in my area (Scotland West) BBC1 HD has moved to channel 101. Since the switch the volume on this channel is typically 25% louder that all other channels which means changing the volume down each time the channel is selected. Is this a problem with my local BBC transmitter or can it be solved at home ?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC 1 HD sound very loud

Hello JR66

Thanks for your post 

Sorry you have had to query the sound levels on BBC1 HD

I hope this explanation helps 

High Definition Channels use Dolby Digital which has a greater dynamic range than Standard Definition Channels. 

The sound on Standard Definition channels is more compressed, which means it will be slightly quieter than the High Definition

Regards 

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
Colin51
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I’m interested in this reply because I have the exact opposite problem. Since BBC 1 disappeared to be replaced by BBC 1HD sound levels have almost disappeared. They are also very variable being louder during the day - but still much quieter than other channels - and needing to be turned up to near the set’s maximum after 9pm.

your explanation suggests that this shouldn’t be happening. Do I have a fault in the box?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin51,

Sorry to hear you've also been having issues with TV volume. The compression levels on different channels can affect customers in different ways due to a number of factors, the main one being your TV itself.

Could you confirm what kind of AV setup you have - TV's speakers, soundbar etc? Have you ensured that the audio settings are correct for this?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Colin51
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I don’t use the surround sound system that comes with my DVD player when we’re watching tv, we simply use the sound that comes with the tv. It was always really faint on bbc1hd, but now I have no choice. Can you advise how to set it up using the tv remote and/or the TiVo remote?

the tv is a Sony Bravia, by the way.

0 Kudos