Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WHO to recognize gaming disorder as mental health condition in 2018

I thought that gamers amongst us may find this interesting, useful or just plain boring.  It doesn't mention anything about the lack of (or intermittent) connectivity/hardware problems though: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/27/health/video-game-disorder-who/index.html?sr=twCNN122717video-game...It gives an idea of what they're up to, if nothing else.  

*Sorry, can someone move this post to the gaming lounge instead.  Apologies.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WHO to recognize gaming disorder as mental health condition in 2018

I'm not into gaming at all, it simply doesn't interest me.  I probably do spend too much time in front of a computer screen but then I am partially housebound and it's my way of keeping in touch with the world around me and its news.  I also hardly ever watch TV so that makes me feel less guilty.

I do find it terribly sad when I see people walking around town with their heads down and eyes glued to their phone screens.  Even sadder when people are in a group in a pub or cafe and each is engrossed in their phone and not interacting with each other at all.

Is it an illness ... yes I think it probably is.  It is certainly altering our culture.  The game boxes and phones are turning people into Zombies.  How long before we lose the power of speech altogether and can only engage with each other via a keypad?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I bought a gaming rig purely to try and stay ahead of the constant upgrades (which hasn't happened).   I'm all for technology being used for the greater good, but like most things, it's gone way too far.  Governments around the world simply didn't consider the downsides around 20 years ago when the internet started taking off.  I used to play games years ago (early to late 1980's) and the then doom mongers suggested that space invaders would turn me into a dangerous lunatic, which hasn't happened either (others may disagree).  Games are still moving dots on a screen, but nowadays there a lot more of them.  

People have been killed round these parts crossing roads whilst on their 'phones which is sad state of affairs, as there is no need for it to happen.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From many of the games advertising clips I have come across there seems to be so much violence and bloodshed portrayed in the 'Shoot em ups'.  In the minds of the impressionable young that must surely be implanting a message that it ok to kill people.  Just look at the escalation in street violence in the UK in the past decade ... guns and knives used without hesitation.  Now just where did they learn that from?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Plenty of that on tv and horror gore films.. i think the jury is still out on that area does computer games cause people to kill others.. a lot of study showed this isn’t the case.. to get back to subject gaming causing cause a form of hypnosis been there done that years ago.. and almost suffered from nintenditis
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@paultechy wrote:
Plenty of that on tv and horror gore films.. i think the jury is still out on that area does computer games cause people to kill others.. a lot of study showed this isn’t the case.. to get back to subject gaming causing cause a form of hypnosis been there done that years ago.. and almost suffered from nintenditis

Whether you agree or disagree with the proposal

"This house believes that computer games affect their players, especially by desensitising them to violence" (which personally I think is BS- plenty of graphic violence in the Bible)

I like the

Marcus Brigstocke quote -

“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.” 

Obviously what media we consume affects us. What that effect is, is far more subtle than "Play Postal, shoot up a school"

Gaming Disorder is being recognised as a mental health issue in the same way as any compulsive behavior is. Some people suffering from OCD compulsively clean. Should we ban cleaning products?

A REAL issue of the day IMHO (although it is hopefully a done deal) is loot crates AKA kiddo gambling. Thats been PROVEN to light up the brain with an endorphin rush, and some legislatures are actually moving on banning it.

There has been NO causal link found between playing violent video games and real world violence, despite years of research.

I look at my kids and see "the internet" as largely positive. They can keep in contact with friends who move away, form social groupings to play games and chat about whats going on in their lives. They talk about issues they face that WE never talked about growing up as we didn't have a safe space to talk in.

Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Obsession in anything can be be a bad thing.  I remember a friend years ago who had to give up Tetris, because whenever he went to bed at night, his dreams were filled with all those little boxes falling and he was occupied in fitting them all together, not getting their proper sleep can have an effect the next day on everyone.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yup Ive a friend who had to stop playing Pikmin cos they were invading her sleep.....

Two examples that give the lie to "virtual violence" being the issue and point to where it ACTUALLY is- addiction/compulsion in any form is a problem.