cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS5 speed test

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the PS5 speed test is more consistent then the test built into previous PlayStations.  I ran it a few times and while it never maxed out the download speed on my M350 connection it did consistently show the same speeds within a few Mbps.  It does appear to max out the upload speed which the PS4 test never did.

20201121090815.png

Test takes longer than it does on previous models so is clearly using more data to test, which is bound to give more accurate results and it mentions on one screen using 512Mb of data to test.

The speed I'm seeing games and patches download at is about the same as the test results, maybe a little quicker.

No web browser on PS5 to allow tests to non Sony servers to see if Sony are the bottleneck, as I suspect they are.  I think Sony are still throttling speeds due to Covid, but I'm optimistic that PS5 downloads in the future will be faster than on the PS4.

So it is an improvement, but still not an accurate way to measure the full speed of your VM connection.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

2 REPLIES 2

RedGooner
Super solver

I have to say since the PS5 came out, Sonys back end has improved.

I am still on a PS4 Pro, but the speed test on that has shown an increase in speed. Also game download speed have go thru the roof.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Now got a PS5, and i have to say the speed test is show very high speeds on the 1Gb service, and games are downloading better than expected.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?