cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nintendo Switch internet issues / DNS error - Hub 4

JJMX
Tuning in

Hi,

Hope someone can help as I feel I’ve exhausted all options given on the internet and the VM team on Twitter weren't able to resolve.

I’ve never been able to connect my Switch to the Hub internet since getting VM last year (can’t remember if it could connect to previous provider). It’s been driving me mad. All other devices connect to the Hub fine and my Switch can connect to my phone hotspot but every option I try to connect it to the Hub I have issues - whether it’s the IP address or the DNS. At the moment it will connect to the device but won’t go as far as connecting to the internet and produces the DNS error.

I’ve tried doing a soft restore of my Switch, reset the Hub, changed the IP/DNS settings on my Switch manually, gone into the hub settings and tried options there. My Nintendo doesn’t appear on the hub’s device list and isn’t blocked on the MAC filtering.… not sure what else to do! I’m currently having to wait hours in various intervals to do a game update as I’m not able to stay in the room with my phone the whole time.

Please help 🙏🏽
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JJMX 

What error messages and codes do the Switch show?

I used to have my Switch connected with an EDiMAX EU-4306 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter wifi ethernet adapter via the bottom usb port.

It's currently connected via WiFi and has no issues- screenshot below

Make sure you are entering the WiFi password and not the Settings password in the Switch.

Are you using a VPN or the normal VM Primary and Secondary  DNS addresses as per the screenshot?

Switch Internet SettingsSwitch Internet Settings

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @newapollo

Thanks for replying. I get this message:

1FF2DA6B-288D-460D-BE66-8E018C7B14D2.jpeg

I don’t think I have an appropriate Ethernet cable at the moment but if I can find one I will try that. I have similar settings to yours - DNS numbers, etc. 

thanks,

Jasmine

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Jasmine, 

There are a couple of things you can try

On the Switch go to System Settings > Internet > Internet Settings >  Manual Setup > Enter your VM SSID (WiFi network name) under SSID

Security Click on Security and select WPA-PSK (AES) instead of the default WPA2-PSK. Then enter your VM WiFi  password and save the network settings.

After the settings are saved, this  may work, if not then go back to the security settings and switch back to WPA2-PSK and enter the correct password. Save changes and exit. Now try connecting to the network and see if the issue is solved.

If that wasn't successful then please try the following instead and hopefully this will work.

On the Switch click on System Settings > Internet > Internet Settings > when it searches for registered networks and networks found scroll down and select Manual Set Up.  Enter your VM SSID (WiFi network name) under SSID, then under Security select the bottom option WPA2-PSK(AES)  and then enter your VM WiFI password on the next screen, then scroll down and select DNS Settings  and change it from Automatic to Manual

Where it says Primary DNS enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the Secondary DNS and then click Save. (these are the google dns servers and not VM's but may work - you can always )

On the next screen click Connect to this network.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestions - I tried both options  and neither worked for me unfortunately.

The first tried for a longer time (than usual) to try connecting to the network device but in the end would not connect. Error code 2110-2963 re. IP address.

The second option also took a long time to search and also brought up the IP address issue.

I’m not 100% sure where to find an IP address as when I’ve tried using the VM IP that my phone connects to it won’t work as it needs to be unique(?). Although I’ve tried the IP that my laptop was connected to and the IPv4 address from the Hub info (80.X.XXX etc) which both seem to work but only gets me as far as the DNS issue again.

Thanks,

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Jasmine,

You are looking for the wrong IP number in your hub. Log into your hub and open the page Connected Devices

The hub shows the Switch IP address  in my picture below as 192.168.0.21/24 - Ignore the /24 at the end.

Check my picture in post 2 and you will see it shows the IP Address of the Switch as 192.168.0.21 - so they both match.

The MAC address adjacent to the IP address on the hub should also match the Switch Console MAC address 

hub showing switchhub showing switch

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi,

My Switch didn’t have its own IP as it wasn’t initially on the Connected devices list until I used the IP from my laptop (which was then given a different IP). I’ve entered the IP address listed on the Hub settings when following the set up as you’ve advised but I’m still stuck on the DNS error - whether I use the VM dns or the Google ones.

I'm not sure how to get past that.

Thanks again