Menu
Highlighted
NikSam72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Internet Issues

Hi,

My Son is trying to use his PS4 in his bedroom, but keeps lagging out of his game. The main hub is downstairs near the phone line and his room is one of the furthest away!

I was looking for answers on the VM website and read about Powerlines. Could this potentially solve his problem, or am I looking to spend money on something that won’t make any difference?

he’s back downstairs using the main TV now, leaving me to sit here looking at the back of his head while hes on gaming with his mates!

I’d really appreciate any advice or suggestions people might have!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet Issues

power lines should work just need to be plugged directly into wall sockets, a lot of the community recommend using devolo homeplug av1200+ series with pass through, these are bit on the pricey side.. other option would be attach a WAP (Wireless Access Point) onto the hub this will greatly increase the wi-fi range for all devices these can vary greatly in price and speeds some people on the community use Ubiquit Unifi

just stay away from anything that says extenders/repeaters those are horrid devices and will make things slower.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
NikSam72
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just searched for that on Amazon (Ubiquit Unifi) and many different and strange looking items appeared. I know I’m asking a lot, but is there any chance you could point out a specific model that might do the job. The techy Information in the name of the product is a foreign language to me!
I’m just a Mum wanting her TV back with a Son who desperately wants to be in her s room, laughing and chatting with his mates without Mum listening in or witnessing the rage!!
Thank you so much for your response. If he’s downstairs too much longer, one of us might not survive the summer holiday!!
We’re currently using something called a booster that I have plugged in upstairs on the landing, but I don’t think it’s doing very much 😕

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

could use e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=sr_1_1?s=...
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
NikSam72
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you SO much. I’ve just ordered this. I’m sure I’m going to struggle when it comes to setting it up, but my Son is 12 and relies on me to do all technical stuff. That was great when he was 7 and I could solve most issues, but the problems seem to get more complex as they get older and I’m losing my ‘problem solver’ title!! I’ve gone from being his hero to adding to his frustration! But gamers gotta game and Mums need to sort out lag!!
I really appreciate your advice. I’m glad I didn’t rush to purchase the powerline options. This definitely looks more reliable and will hopefully satisfy his needs. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

there is plenty of online videos on how to configure it.. just a matter of plugging in cables set the wireless name to match the hub and use the same wireless passphrase aka wireless password.. job done
Jester25
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I use TP-Link AV600 wi-fi.

Running on my LAN works great - but it wont cure broadband issues 

Just make sure its not down to external factors before splashing out.

0 Kudos