Menu
Mark83Media
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable to Ethernet

I have a second VM box (cable) installed in my bedroom. As this is a second box it doesn't connect to the router via cable, just to the  second TiVo with the cable (Coax or Moca? Not sure what it's called) so there are no Ethernet connections. I thought when I bought the VIP package that having direct cable installed into the bedroom would mean I would have Ethernet connection, but its just the cable, no other ports.

Is there any way I can use this connection to set up wired connection to my PC and PS4 as wifi is so weak in the bedroom -- it's unplayable.

I apologise for any ambiguity in my question, but I'm just not sure how this works. I've looked online and can't seem to find any answers. I called the technical support, but had the phone put down on me after spending 30 minutes trying to explain, but it was difficult as I couldn't get through to a UK call center. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable to Ethernet

no. you will need to run a ethernet cable from the SH to the point you needed

0 Kudos
Mark83Media
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So even with direct cable installed -- I can't use something like a cable to Ethernet adapter? Or maybe a second router? I can't understand why they don't install Ethernet ports if they go to all the trouble of drilling a box into the room. Seems like a lot of effort for one cable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

no you can't and the ethernet is part of your local network. The coax is part of VM network

0 Kudos
Mark83Media
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well that's a kicker because wifi is around 10mbps in the bedroom despite being around 7 metres away from the SH -- instead of 300mbps when sitting in the living room. What would you suggest? I can't run wired from the SH as the landlord won't let me drill through multiple walls. I think I have a legitimate complaint to make here, this package isn't cheap and 10mbps isn't acceptable. I phoned the technical helpline and they put the phone down on me.. not a good impression so far.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

powerline adapter or run a network cable the same route as the coax and use the same holes.

If you get 300 on any device you are getting the service. ISP can not guarantee wireless and if you can get the speeds wired you are getting service.
Other option is try a better wireless router and runt eh hub in modem mode.

If you get the speeds wired and its a wireless problem you ahve no legitimate complaint

0 Kudos
Mark83Media
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for all your advice. It's a real shame, but I guess I'll have to run the SH in modem mode and buy a decent router. The VM SH isn't really up to delivering decent WiFi which is strange as the one I had before gave consistent 150 no matter where I was in the house (further distance, more walls etc).

That or run a network cable on the same route as you suggested. I'll look into the cost of that and what's involved. Could I get someone local to do that for me or would it need to be a VM techie?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

for a network cable anyone can do it. They are not hard to do yourself. Check youtube to videos how to do this yourself

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just ensure you specify good quality Ethernet cable, Cat 6a or better.

Amazon do these ready plugged Duronic Ethernet cables in a variety of lengths up to 100 metres in black or white, or without plugs on a drum.  I use these myself and can highly recommend ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZXW6NU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos