Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

wifi speeds

HI guys I'm in a pickle. 

I have the 100mb package with the hub 3.0. however i live in a house of 7 other people and often when im trying to use my computer for games, and streaming etc i get sub par of 10mb's. While playing games my latency is all over the place and makes it impossible to play smoothly with all the lag. 

I know it's a problem with bandwidth and as of yet im trying to upgrade the package.

However I had another idea and was wondering if someone could verify whether it would work. 

I can't directly connect an ethernet cable to the router as im on the second floor. However if I were to get a booster than had an ethernet port and then connected a cable to that booster via ethernet instead would that improve my bandwidth issue and resulve the latency problems im getting in game? 

would be great for any responses. thanks. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi speeds

it will most likey be better than wifi but if the problem is the usage of the connection it won't improve things.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is the usage, when its just me using the wifi it doesnt lag. but when others are also using it, my reliability and latency are crippled.

If this is the case what solutions are there that you know of?
(include all :DDD)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

well again you need to find out if its the wifi at capacity or the connection. Only way to really test that is to try a wired connection

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have full signal strength the connection is stable. I know it's the bandwidth.
there isn't enough bandwidth to run everything everyone uses at once.
Thus I'm asking would an ethernet connection to a booster (not the router) solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It may but it is all going to depend on the condition of the wiring in the house, how old that wiring is, as well as anything plugged into the mains as all of this can degraded the condition of the signal have a look at https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/powerline-ethernet-adapters-vs-ethernet#

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the strong signal means nothing if the wifi band is saturated.
Strong!= quality

0 Kudos