cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin homepage search

foolish1
Joining in

i have used virgin as my homepage since we first got the internet but since the latest update the enhanced by google search bar has changed to search *this website* by default instead of *web* is there anyway to change this back as I don't want to change my homepage/search engine but want to be able to search the net without having to keep clicking the web option everytime

thanks in advance for any help

5 REPLIES 5

patweb
Joining in

This is happening to me too. Tried everything I can think of to get it back to *web*. Website different too. 

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi foolish1, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had some trouble with our website since the update. 

The search function is set primarily to 'This Website' so that our customers are more easily able to locate information about products or services they are looking for more information on. 

There is no setting to change it so it defaults to 'web' apologies for this. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

aytrixtech
On our wavelength

Hi,

the only option for this would be to change your default home page under your browser settings to the Search engine of your choice i.e. www.google.co.uk

This will stop the virginmedia page from coming up and allow you to search the internet with your search engine of choice.  If you are unsure how to do this let me know and I can advise how to do this.

Regards

Ronan

I Work for Virgin Media - All Opinions are my own

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is possibly going to come across as flippant so I am going to apologise in advance if this is the case.

Many people do not realise that you don't have to search from Google Search Bar on the home page.

Most browsers have their own method of doing searches directly from the Browser itself.  These searches can often be customised to use the search engine of your choice with minimal effort, but the majority use Google by default.

Some examples.

Google Chrome: 

The address bar in Google Chrome actually doubles as a search bar as well.  by default, it already uses Google search.

Microsoft Edge:

Again the address bar doubles as a search bar.  By default it uses Bing.

Mozilla Firefox:

The address bar can be used as a search bar as well, although they have also kept the traditional separate search box.

Problem with the Search Tool on the home search page.

There is a slight issue with the search tool on the home page. As far as I can tell it's using a deprecated engine which is no longer supported by Google.

While it does work there is an issue where it uses some old style formatting for URL's in the results.  While these should work, there are some circumstances where it causes problems.  Most notably with Youtube results.  Following the results kicks off Google's security features.

As such I recommend people learn to use the address bar to search rather than use the search tool on the Virgin Homepage.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

foolish1
Joining in

its strange that just after I posted the original problem it reverted back to how it was originally i.e search "the web".

but now today again it has reverted back to "this website"

I know about searching from the address bar and other search engines but prefered searching from the searchbox on the homepage,

perhaps it was just what I was used to or set in my ways lol guess i'll just have to use another search engine or homepage where I don't have to keep clicking "the web" option

thanks for your replies