cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise from splitter and tivo box

dcirulis
Tuning in

Hi this has been driving me mad for over a year now. I have a virgin tivo box in bedroom situated near a long radiator the cabling of which runs underneath via a splitter towards my modem. I have been getting a loud ''bubbling'' sound from the radiator. I thought it was air in the system and even replaced the radiator. This morning at 3am I finally discovered hat every time i heard the ''bubble'' the tivo box appeared to take a surge of power. upon switching off the Tivo box the noise that has been driving me bonkers stopped. Any Ideas ???... Could the Splitter be faulty, cable shielding issue?? Any help appreciated before I call for a tech

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I had to turn my TiVo off at night to stop the spooling up and strange noises, if you have broadband you can get a 360mini box which has no hard disk so is almost silent 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's normal for Tivos to make a drumming noise, they have a very loud Hard disk drive 

its not a drumming noise it actually sounds like an air bubble that you would get in a radiator like a gloop.....gloop.....gloop...

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I had to turn my TiVo off at night to stop the spooling up and strange noises, if you have broadband you can get a 360mini box which has no hard disk so is almost silent 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Although jb66 is absolutely right, I'd caveat that the 360 software platform is completely different to the TiVo platform and you need to consider a migration to that with your eyes wide open.

I've always found the V6 box is a lot quieter in general operation (even with the HDD) than the TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI splitters are totally inert devices and cannot ever cause by noise.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor wrote:

FYI splitters are totally inert devices and cannot ever cause by noise.

VM do use some powered splitters where signal strength issues exist.

However, the ones that I had in place a while back did not cause any noise issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You shouldn't get noise from any passive device in the coax runs (splitters, attenuators, isolators). Active splitters & HDUs are easy to spot as there has to be mains fed into the system somewhere on the customers property.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more