Menu
umbrokhan
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i don't understand why people like Stock Android so much?

why is it such a big deal? stock experience is kind of boring. take out all the fun stuff and give you only the basic's. Basic phone with a heavy price tag..
OLED screen is cheap aswell.
Don't you think Google is getting abit greedy now?

this is comparing Pixel 2 XL to Note 8 or s8+

0 Kudos
teabag
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: i don't understand why people like Stock Android so much?

For me, it's stock that gives me greater choice over which Apps I like to use.

I find some are just full of stuff which I'll never/prefer not to use. Ok, let's just delete all the supplied ones I don't want - hang on, you can't, you can only disable them and end up losing precious memory.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stoo_77
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I Agree with teabag that I get more choice over the apps I want with stock android.  Would be all well and good if you could uninstall any pre-installed apps.  Non stock Android is often bloated out with extras that are not needed slowing down devices.  Also updates take months longer to work through to users or never come at all as Samsung have to do their version of the update.  All in all stock android is far better.

Stu.

==================
Broadband:- VIVID 200
TV:- Mix Tv (Tivo V6)
Phone:- Talk More Anytime
Mobile:- 2 x 30 day sim
0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

umbrokhan wrote:

why is it such a big deal? stock experience is kind of boring. take out all the fun stuff and give you only the basic's. Basic phone with a heavy price tag..
OLED screen is cheap aswell.
Don't you think Google is getting abit greedy now?

this is comparing Pixel 2 XL to Note 8 or s8+

Because Android is customisable.

If you want the "fun stuff", like theme engines, different launchers and the like, it's all out there.

I use a Galaxy S8, but use the Microsoft Launcher (Yes, that's a thing), because it is better. Half of the extra apps on the Samsung side are redundant and should be optional.

Also, stock Android means getting updates faster. The Pixel XL 2 is on Android 8.1, my S8 on Android 7. A big difference.

Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Does the Microsoft Launcher give a 'metro' (ie Windows 10 live tile GUI) like experience? Apparently Bill Gates now has an Android phone. I've never owned an Android device at all although I've used several such tablets provided by various employers in the past. I can't stand the default Android 'tile free' GUI.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Some apps will only run on stock Android versions. I don't use Android, but I prefer my device being kept up to date and supported rather than jail breaking to put something custom there that I would be required to take extra care off and may not ever be updateable.

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.