Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: downgrading Router

*tut tut* using what i said without my permission.. only joking.. i would be asking the seller to pay postage to sent it back
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
doddy
Tuning in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It was good information i didnt know about it.

i messaged him and asked him to pay the return he said:

If you read item description, returns are not accepted, but since you have asked I will make an exception and refund you when the router is posted back. You will have to arrange postage yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Package: Vivid 350 Optical Fibre
Modem/Router: Super hub 3.0/ASUS AC88U
0 Kudos
al45tair
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's a little less clear cut than that, I think. When Virgin sends you a SuperHub 3 as an "upgrade", they will generally tell you to dispose of (rather than return) the 2ac; at least, that's what they did to me. They wanted the Tivo box back when we upgraded to the new V6 box, but they were quite clear they didn't want the 2ac back. (As it happens, I've stuck with the 2ac because of the latency issue, and won't be installing the new 3 until they've fixed it.)

Now, legally speaking, if it's Virgin Media's property, then it can't be disposed of in domestic waste or through the local tip — that would be unlawful as it's business waste and the owner (Virgin Media in this case) is supposed to pay to have that collected. So I think it's reasonable to assume that under such circumstances, Virgin Media means for the 2ac hub to become your property — otherwise, they're asking you to help them to break the law, and I can't imagine they mean to do that.

So while I'm certainly not advocating selling them on on eBay, as I'm sure you're right that Virgin will refuse to activate them under such circumstances, I don't think the claim that it's Virgin Media's property, if it hasn't asked for it to be returned, holds much water.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The hubs etc always remain property of virginmedia and under the WEEE directive virginmedia responsibility to dispose of old hardware
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If VM stuff is on ebay don't bother with it.

Stuff they don't want back can be taken to your local Eco-Centre (aka tip) mentioned here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... or pulled to bits to see what makes them work.  It would be interesting to know that if the old gear still works if you could use it as an access point.  If it is OK to do so, then I would do it.  Once it completely conks out you could then pull it to bits and make it into an ornament, or re-enact your own movies of 2001 A Space Odyssey: The Dawn of Man using toy monkeys and other animals and the Superhub as the monolith.Smiley Very Happy

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos