@MrHalfAsleep

I don't use windows Hello 😃   Windows Hello 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 42 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows vers1903 the May Update

Me neither.  It's pointless rubbish for my setup.  Microsoft is like an annoying visitor complaining that your house is a mess after you've just done a 12 hour shift...

Cortana can cause problems hogging up to 90% of system resources.  The computer may be mine, but the operating system isn't.Robot Mad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 43 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Cumulative updates tonight and flash player update  now up to  1903 build 18362.356

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 44 of 66
Flag for a moderator

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4515384/windows-10-update-kb4515384

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4514359/sep-10-2019-kb4514359-cumulative-update-for-net-fra...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4516115/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

Just got the above updates.  It didn't ask.  Lots of fun as one decided to install itself twice. 

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 45 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Yes (KB4512941) installed twice on my PC's as well, it might be that one install is for the Main Windows folder and the other for Sandbox and Virtual machine folder.

0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 46 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I never really understand why Windows takes so long for updates and need so many reboots (well I sort of do) when Linux updates fine without needing reboots or even for the most part shutting apps or logging out.  And I can see what it's doing at each stage and if I need to do some action it tells me when and what.

OK, it's how the different O/S's handle resources, libraries, file locking and so on but the issue isn't new and you'd think MS could have sorted through the issues and let the updates (optionally) provide better progress information.

Windows update is now offering 1903 for my PC so I will likely alter the boot priority to Windows and bite the bullet.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 47 of 66
Flag for a moderator

What you are seeing today is the result of continuous development of the Windows product since 1985. At various points in its life the logical thing to do would have been – develop a brand new version - and throw away the old one. Expensive and time-consuming.

Easiest (and most profitable answer) is to stick a new layer on the top. The sticking plaster and glue approach. Result is a product with somewhat illogical structure in places.

Note that most of our major banks have on-line banking systems with underlying structures appropriate to mainframe environments. The same solution was adopted there – put a new glossy layer on the top – Windows in many cases! It’s why banks are very reluctant to “improve” their systems – it’s expensive and dangerous. Look what happened to TSB when they tried to move their customers from the Lloyds infrastructure recently.

MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 48 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Yeah... A 64bit operating system that shutsdown with a 32bit program.  My sister's laptop had 32bit Windows 7 on it, but upgraded itself to the 64bit version of Win10.  During the 5 hours it took to get the 1903 update on it, I switched it off when specifically told not to as I fancied some sleep.  The details of this experience are elsewhere, but during the 5 hours it took, there could have been a power cut resulting in the same thing.  Since it was a free download, no compensation for lost data. 

--
No system is 100% secure
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 49 of 66
Flag for a moderator

@BillC45 wrote:

What you are seeing today is the result of continuous development of the Windows product since 1985. At various points in its life the logical thing to do would have been – develop a brand new version - and throw away the old one. Expensive and time-consuming.

Easiest (and most profitable answer) is to stick a new layer on the top. The sticking plaster and glue approach. Result is a product with somewhat illogical structure in places.

Note that most of our major banks have on-line banking systems with underlying structures appropriate to mainframe environments. The same solution was adopted there – put a new glossy layer on the top – Windows in many cases! It’s why banks are very reluctant to “improve” their systems – it’s expensive and dangerous. Look what happened to TSB when they tried to move their customers from the Lloyds infrastructure recently.

Indeed - I refuse to use internet banking on principle.  When I visit the bank I'm told that it's "totally secure".  Their security measures won't prevent an inside job.  The bank is now altering it's online usage texting a number to a smart phone for online purchases - (I'm happy with the current setup) - creating another attack vector as they do so.  I think it's about as secure as it would if money was kept under the floorboards.  They should have done it the old fashioned way - one account at a time, removing the old data as the process is completed.  Time consuming, yes, secure, yes.  Customers happy, yes, as they are aware of what is going on.

Governments, banks etc could just use (highly) customised versions of Linux (no faffing about with borked Windows updates etc), and roll their own security as and when required. Just a thought.

--
No system is 100% secure
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 50 of 66
Flag for a moderator

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4515871/sep-26-2019-kb4515871-cumulative-update-for-net-fra...

Just got the above update.

--
No system is 100% secure