Re: Windows vers1903 the May Update

Cumulative update tonight.  Now up to   1903 build 18362.267

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 32 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Cautionary tale (or learning the hard way).

This isn't what was intended to happen, but here goes:

Bricked me sister's laptop good and proper with this (she was moaning about it taking so long).  I thought I'd spend most of last night installing it, protesting that "you have to wait" whilst watching the circles of infinte doom go round and round.  After 6 hours and infinite wisdom I decided to switch it off (which turned out to be the worst decision I've made, but it was gone 2 am).  It said it was undoing changes and rebooted.  Fine, or so I thought.   Earlier on this morning the damned thing wouldn't reboot.  No registry, no Windows.old, nothing.  Searched most of the morning on youtube etc.   Again, nothing worked.

Spent most of the day faffing about burning ISO Windows and reinstalled it.  Laptop looks nothing like it did and me sister now realises her data is gone forever.  It does work though.  Wi-Fi is pretty good too.Smiley Sad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 33 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Quite often data isn't lost and can be recovered, there are several recovery utilities available and some are free.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 34 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@ MrHalfAsleep  

Well since recognising that there have been frequent problems in these cumulative updates, so before updating I ran free registry cleaner, and sfc scannow etc; which found problems, and that took me the online DISM tool after which I ran sfc /scannow again, so when I was satisfied that there were no errors before updating, then I updated, and I even ran scf /scannow after the update to ensure that it had installed properly 😒 

I had been installing and trying different software since the previous update and uninstalling it again after trying it out, that might have been why that after a while the installs and uninstalls might have altered Windows10 enough to throw up errors on sfc /scannow.🙄

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 35 of 63
Flag for a moderator

It takes its time creating the windows.old folder which would have been 64gb.  As said above this didn't exist.  I then attempted to create a backup of the registry, which were only zero byte files, so that didn't work.  Other noseying around in what was left proved fruitless and all her personal data had gone anyway.  Office 2010 Starter and all the stuff that was on the (Windows 7) recovery partition had also gone, so that wasn't an option.  Unfortunately the licence keys for this are also gone.  There is a Windows 7 licence key sticker on it.  There wasn't a Win7 system disk.

There may be a software recovery disk around somewhere (this seems to have gone missing), but if that won't install on Win10 (since its 9 years old) I can't get it back to what it was.  I had the sense to back up her really important stuff up and the courses she did specifically said that she should print stuff out; while she was doing the course I suggested that she keep copies just in case she lost or mislaid the printed stuff.  I stuck a clean install of Win10 on it and will see if the software recovery disk turns up.  It looks like she's gonna end up with LibreOffice as a word processor. 

Oddly enough the conversation was going toward upgrading the hard disk to a solid state job after doing this upgrade.  At least it still functions and she can still do more or less what she wants at the moment.  I think I'll get rid of the recovery partitions and free up the disk space, sort the printer out and see what happens.  The ISO I burned was dated 7/2019 so I presume she now has the ruddy update.

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 36 of 63
Flag for a moderator

More updates today, now up to 1903 build 18362.

and a Java update today as well

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 37 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Cautionary tale 2 (the saga of me sister's laptop):

I found the recovery disk which just bunged a 32 bit windows 7 image on the computer.  Much to my annoyance, Office and all the other stuff that was on it wasn't there.  During the original forced update (GWX) it had installed the 64 bit version of Win10 around the original Win7 pre-install.  Having faffed about for 3/4 an hour I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall Win10 and complete the original course of action by putting Libre Office on it along with some other bits of free stuff including both versions of Java.  Backing stuff up isn't something we do round here, as when I say "I need to concentrate" along with repeatedly asking "We need to back stuff up" (something I don't do myself, even though I KNOW I should, due to money being tight) falling on deaf ears.

I got my tax refund (mentioned elsewhere) the old fashioned way, although it's not enough to buy computer gubbins.

Fortunately the laptop is now usable, but I'm not sure how long the hard disk will last.  I've got mini tools somewhere, so I'll attack the partitions with that.

[edit] Yes it does have the 1903 update.Robot Frustrated

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 38 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Cumulative Updates this morning. Now upto version 1903 build  18362.329

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 39 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Got these yesterday.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4511555/august-30-2019-kb4511555

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4512941/windows-10-update-kb4512941

I got some new graphics drivers and now the Start menu doesn't work.Smiley Indifferent

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 40 of 63
Flag for a moderator

A reboot sorted the Start menu problem out!  I was having a nosey round in event viewer, and I have the same problem mentioned here: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/136786-event-id-360-strange-font-characters.html. There doesn't seem to be any solution to fixing it.Smiley Indifferent

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos