Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows vers1903 the May Update

They fixed the power-kernel thing with a bunch of quick fire updates over a couple of days.  I thought it was strange at the time, and I'm sure I mentioned it elsewhere on here.  Anyway, after a couple of days it stopped spontaneously rebooting and hasn't done so since. scn.jpg

If you're stuck for space and you've got the 1903 update, navigate to the C:\ drive.  If you have the above folder, this can be deleted. According to Brian there should be an option to delete it in Windows Update (or somewhere).  However, on the Home edition, there seems to be no option to do this, although I could be wrong. 103Gb in my case.  Smiley Mad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 22 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Check it with Free Registry Repair http://www.regsofts.com/free_registry_repair/registry_repair.htm

I thought I would check the Update so.. I run SFC /scannow and it reported corrupt files so...

I run the Online DISM tool and it found corrupt files and was able to repair them 😉

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 23 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Checked my C: drive to compare to yours

c drive.jpg

Couldn't find Windows.old  so checked all drives and partitions, still was unable to find it, but I remember deleting old backups to free disk space a while back so maybe that deleted it.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 24 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Windows.Old was basically the "upgrade" folder when you came from another version (Non 10) of windows.

You can actually let windows clean that up for you (slower, but probably safer).

Run "Disk Cleanup", click "Clean up system files" (requires elevation), it will take a little while to load - a long while for some people - The option should show there, it's worth running from time just to free up space on your drive.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 25 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit of a hoarder, so I like keeping stuff for no apparent reason.  I also have plenty of space even with my current rubbish.Smiley Happy

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 66
Flag for a moderator

The Win10 1903 update self-started on my main PC a couple of days ago. I decided to let it run. A long while later I noticed that it was rolling back the update. It had failed with 0xc1900101 error (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolution-procedures#0xc1900101 ). - which says it’s usually a driver problem (but could be something else!).

I decided to try it again today and first ran sfc /scannow which found a few things to correct. I then ran the update – which took 1.25 hours including 2 re-boots.

PC has 8Gb Ram, 2TB disc storage, 2x Intel i3 chips rated at 3.6GHz, so speed and space were not issues. Support for Home and Pro versions of 1803 ceases 12/11/2019. We could see a number of older machines struggling with this upgrade when it is forced on them later this year.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 27 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I deliberately did a delayed update which was successful but took the longest of any Windows update. I've since run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (which was successful) and sfc /scannow (which fixed a load of errors).More info here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 28 of 66
Flag for a moderator

@BillC45 wrote:

2x Intel i3 chips rated at 3.6GHz

Hmmmmmmmmm

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873&3_ClockSpeed-M...

None of those support dual-socket motherboards.  Do share with us what you have... I mean, I have never even heard of a dual socket i3 board (Most people would opt for a cheaper motherboard with an i7/i5).  It's just made me curious is all 😉 … 

Saying that.  If your shoehorned in a i3 to a dual-socket config when it shouldn't be there... that would explain why there's no upgrade path.  A bit like those people who manage to get ATI and Nvidia cards working together on their system :)… 

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 29 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Apologies if my clumsy abbreviation of -

“2-core i3-4160 processor with 3.6GHz base frequency” was misleading.

Reading it again I can see it could be interpreted as 2 processors.

Lesson learned – Proof-Read before hitting Post.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 30 of 66
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

@BillC45 wrote:

2x Intel i3 chips rated at 3.6GHz

Hmmmmmmmmm

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873&3_ClockSpeed-M...

None of those support dual-socket motherboards.  Do share with us what you have... I mean, I have never even heard of a dual socket i3 board (Most people would opt for a cheaper motherboard with an i7/i5).  It's just made me curious is all 😉 … 

I thought this was a bit odd too.  Intel have a driver update effort: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

This was rather useful in finding a generic 2015 wi-fi driver for me sister's laptop.  Once I put it on she ended up with 100Mb over wi-fi.:D

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos