Menu
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 11 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows vers1903 the May Update

I think you may have accumulated junk from previous updates, hence it's running slower. Sometimes a junk cleaner is needed, an update of all the drivers or a fresh install but that means you have to reload all your software again. You can't win 😃

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 12 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Anyone on 1809 should expect some problems.  1803 is nearly a year old for many people, so most of the problems it had have been patched away.

I struggled to install 1903, took about four attempts.  I used the update assistant (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and picked up 1903 fairly early (some of my gear has still not been offered the 1903 update).

I find that using something like the update assistant can be better than windows update, but if your having a lot of issues then once it's downloaded and ready to install then unplug your computer from the network/disconnect wifi, turn off all AV/Firewall software, kill all other programs, and start the update.  Generally a "hard" reboot before starting the upgrade process can be beneficial.  A "hard" reboot (Start -> Shutdown -> Turn it back on) not simply Start ->"restart".

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I ran CCleaner on my machine and after clearing 3Gb of "junk" the machine still runs slow.  I reckon it's the speculative execution prevention.  I've also found a reboot can kickstart a dodgy WU install and it should be done ideally over a wired connection. 

Failing that, http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx (search for KBXXXXXX) is a good place to start as downloading standalone installers can also fix WU.  Don't forget that some combined updates need to be installed in a specific order if WU decides it doesn't want to play ball.  There's more information in the 1803 thread which migrated to 1809 and eventually 1903.  Since I'm on an AMD processor I get specific updates for their processors, and older gear (such as my sister's Intel B815 laptop)  may never see 1903.  It still works well.

I have had one case where the above link wouldn't work using Edge (I couldn't download anything) and upon restarting two WU services the updates downloaded and installed correctly.  Running WU 'til you get "you're up to date" tends to fix most things.  W10 now seems to be relatively stable, but slower.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Chris opines about Windows borkedness.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 15 of 66
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep Are you using an SSD boot drive or mechanical hard drive? If the later run Defrag and Optimise found in Windows administrative tools

You can check the performance of the drive with https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3987-crystaldiskmark.html

The problem with mechanical hard drives is that they get slower with age.

Also check your startup folder for software that is not really required on start up and is left running in the background.

As well as switching off Controlled folder access, can help get a lot of programs to work more efficiently as well.

There has been recent Bios updates for AMD boards as well.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 16 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Mine is Mechanical (Raid 0, two 500gb, slow-ish drives) and the load times are generally okay.  

What you will find is that the older the hardware (spec, not physical age), is generally the worse the upgrade time is.  I am not sure that's because of the problems of mechanical drives, or more to do with the fact that so much gets checked for during the upgrade.  My sons PC (m.4 ssd, modern cpu/gpu/mobo) took 1903 in about an hour - first time (Download + install + while in use) .  When mine did complete it seemed to take at least a couple of hours (sitting idle, me out with the dog, doing shopping, and other stuff).  

Spare hard drive space can be a HUGE issue.  Also the way windows likes to index things can be a big problem too, it's possible that some folders it's indexing are also getting upgraded thus causing it to update the index while it's all working (ugh)..   Microsoft is also doing checks now to stop installs from happening on hardware where there are a lot of issues.  You can force this with some registry tweaks.  Some Atom processors are on the "do not update" list - you cant force it either.  Generally everything that's still "supported"  should get the newer windows update - just be wary that really old devices may not work on newer versions.

Windows 10 also "should" be running a write system now that makes defragmentation less of an issue, but again, if your drives are near full or have less than about 30 gig free then expect problems.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 17 of 66
Flag for a moderator

July Cumulative Updates went through, quite quickly took about 6  minutes on the first PC now to Updtae the second PC

Now up to build 18362.239 😃   Yep it went through on the second PC it took about 9 minutes 🧒🏻

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 66
Flag for a moderator

1Tb HDD here and (8 upgraded to 16Gb) DDR3L memory.  I had huge problems in the early days (2017) with spontaneous reboots, which resulted in a flurry of activity with Power-Kernel warnings in Event Viewer and contact between Microsoft servers.  It got to the point where the computer would not stay on for longer than 5 hours and I struggled to figure out what was wrong.  Whether this was linked specifically to (earlier) AMD/other non Intel processors, I can't say, but it's what I believe.  I'm getting the CU's now as I type.  Downloading isn't a problem.

It's installing KB4507453 twice for some reason; maybe there's two parts to it.Smiley Indifferent

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 19 of 66
Flag for a moderator

The whole install took 21 minutes (which is about average) and MSRT was included too, slowing down the process further, as it scans the C:\ drive before installing.

There weren't two parts to https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4507453/windows-10-update-kb4507453.

Some more nonsense: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4506991/july-9-2019-kb4506991-cumulative-update-for-net-fra... which seems to fix an earlier CU.

Oh yes, there's an AMD A8-7650K and I'm using integrated graphics.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 20 of 66
Flag for a moderator

@ MrHalfasleep  You can view Update History when it's done.  Both my PC's got  the Malware removal tool, Cumulative net framework and Cumulative Windows Update can't remember if any came in two parts but it's quite possible as sometimes they do..  Overheating can cause power warnings and unexpected shutdowns.

0 Kudos