Menu
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 File Explorer

I have just bought the wife a new Dell XPS-5 laptop which came with Office Home & Student 2016 pre-installed.   I have transferred all her files from the old laptop and we have a bizarre problem.  

Most files can be opened by double clicking into their respective applications from within File Explorer including music, photos, videos and old .doc and .xls files.  However clicking on either a .docx or .xlsx file brings File Explorer to an instant halt with a "Not Responding" message.  I have checked that they have the correct file association with Word & Excel 2016.

I cannot get an actions box up when I right click on these files as again it just freezes immediately so I am unable to delete, rename or move them within File Explorer.  They are just stuck there.

If I open Word or Excel I can use the File / Open from within the program and the files load in just fine so I can't believe there is anything wrong with the files themselves.

I have run cmd: sfc/scannow ... I have tried turning off anti-virus ... I have tried stopping other programs from starting at reboot ... all to no avail.

Anyone have any idea what might be making just these two file types crash File Explorer?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Windows 10 File Explorer

Early days still but I think I have quite by accident blundered into a solution.

I was playing with the View settings in File Explorer and I turned off the Details pane and turned ON the Preview Pane and it's suddenly all started working as it should!  I've rebooted several times and it's still working ok.

Why the display of the Preview Pane should affect a file's ability to load and not crash File Explorer I really can't understand, but it has all the hallmarks of yet another Microsoft programming bug.  Windows 10, what a joke!

Electron
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So, for the sake of your readers, you should turn on the preview pane and see if the problem recurs, etc.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Sephiroth wrote:
So, for the sake of your readers, you should turn on the preview pane and see if the problem recurs, etc.

I think you meant 'OFF' Seph but yes I have cycled off and on with the preview pane and the issue reappears when preview pane is off.    So it is staying on    Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, of course. Also, of course, this doesn't happen to me!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
BriE
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Nice bit of Info for future referance.
0 Kudos