Menu
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 51 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

@BenMcr wrote:
The terms will be updated to reflect the removal of the opt out restrictions, but those sections of the terms aren't enforced. So the opt out definitely doesn't stop the use of Virgin Media WiFi.

I can't comment on the other term question as it's outside of my knowledge.

Unless and until T's & C's are updated they are still legally binding within a contract. Just saying they are not enforced is not enough to, in the words of Jean Luc Picard, "make it so."

Customers who have opted their hubs out of the Virgin Media WiFi hotspot service should not expect to be able to use that service elsewhere until the T's & C's have been changed accordingly.

As to the question regarding the processing of customer data for marketing and other purposes, and the assumption of implied consent, are Virgin Media aware of the General Data Protection Regulations and the requirement to be compliant with these regulations?

While we may be leaving the EU, some EU law will carry on. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is one of them.

The UK signed up to it before the referendum, agreed to comply with it after, and if businesses wish to continue to process data belonging to EU firms, as well as avoid some potentially eye-watering fines, they need to be compliant with the GDPR no later than May 2018.

The GDPR goes beyond current legal requirements by abolishing "implicit" and opt-out consent. Data subjects (customers) will be able to withdraw consent at any time, it should be as easy to withdraw consent as to grant it and consent must be freely given.

Customers can ask questions, stop processing and demand you remove their data. If companies get it wrong and if a personal data breach results in a high risk to the rights and freedoms of individuals, companies are now required to inform not just the Information Commissioner, but the individual concerned.

For some offences the maximum penalty can be €20M or 4 per cent of global turnover. Smiley Surprised 

Yes, that's a lot of incentive for companies to get it right.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 52 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I am a little confused.com here. I got a text to my iphone...

"seamlessly connect ...while youre out...download our new app"

Are you talking about the same thing? The reason I ask is that if I did download, then the benefit is I could use "someone elses wifi" not my 500mb monthly allowance, which obviously would be nice.

Or am I misunderstanding something-not unusual!

Im always concerned by VM announcements-too often its overpromise and underdeliver! 

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 53 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Yes you use someones wifi so not to use up your data allowance although no biggie for me I pretty much get 4G everywhere I go with vodafone and have a 20G data allowance and never use anywhere near that im looking at about 13GB this month with some streaming and unless it seamlessly hands over between access points which I doubt it I cant see the point 

When I finally do get connected though if/when its available round here I wont be disabling the feature providing it works with the hub3 in modem mode as I will not be using the internal wifi anyway 2.4Ghz is fairly crowded here anyway and I will be using my own access point and router (pfSense & Ubiquiti UniFi AC)

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 54 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Doubt it will work if you are in Modem Mode with your own Router used instead.

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 55 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I have a feeling it will still work being in modem mode the public WiFi is a seperate network from your own and will be run independently utilising excess bandwidth the hub3 can in theory handle over a gigabit throughout so won't impact your connection speed in any way providing there is adequate unused bandwidth

--------
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 56 of 71
Flag for a moderator

It still transits from the HUB3 as a wireless router, if you disable wireless or set to modem mode how can it work?

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 57 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Quite easily I have a old zyxel router here that was from a old ISP even if I set that to modem mode port 1 would pass the external IP but you could also purchase IPTV and IP Phone from them

IPTV ran from port 2 in a VLAN and the phone worked from the RJ11 phone ports on the back over a second VLAN

I think the hub3 will work in a similar way your external IP will be on Port1 the phone ports on the back if ever utilized will run on a separate VLAN and the public wifi will run on a separate VLAN each on there own IP address and subnet independently routed internally with the public wifi IP being internally routed

You can turn wifi off but this may just turn off your local IP ssid but the public wifi could still operate and be only remotely controlled from VMs end

This is all speculation I have no idea how the firmware is controlling the hardware

--------

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 58 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode or turning off wifi will mean you do not act as a hot spot. Originally this would have prevented you from using hot spots provided by others but VM have now decided all BB Customers can use them.
jhuk
Super solver
Message 59 of 71
Flag for a moderator

That is not what we are talking about above.

I do not see how a HUB 3 in modem mode using a 3rd party router for routing and WIFI bought by customer can be a VM Hotspot the way VM have it implemented.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 60 of 71
Flag for a moderator

If you use Modem Mode your hub can't transmit a network to be used by other customers. However following a recent change of heart, you can still use the free WiFi from other hubs, and WiFi in shops/pubs from 'The Cloud'.

0 Kudos