Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 41 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

Actually Virgin also has a deal with the Cloud and one other Wifi provider to use their wifi service as well.  The App automatically logs you on to a Cloud-X Hotspot if you're in range of one using enterprise level authentication (Which is why installing the Wifi profile needs to install a couple of certificates).  Wetherspoons pubs, for example, use the Cloud as does Greggs where they have eat in facilities.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 42 of 71
Flag for a moderator

The downloadable app serves Android and iOS devices but can any windows laptop access the public hotspots too?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 43 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Actually Virgin also has a deal with the Cloud and one other Wifi provider to use their wifi service as well.  The App automatically logs you on to a Cloud-X Hotspot if you're in range of one using enterprise level authentication (Which is why installing the Wifi profile needs to install a couple of certificates).  Wetherspoons pubs, for example, use the Cloud as does Greggs where they have eat in facilities.

The other provider was Arqiva WiFi, however they are now part of Virgin Media

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 44 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

The downloadable app serves Android and iOS devices but can any windows laptop access the public hotspots too?

Currently access is for those devices that can install the app. There hasn't been any mention either way as to whether other devices will be supported in the future.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 45 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Is this the same Cloud which is owned by Sky or is it another provider using the same name?

Are users made fully aware of the Terms and Conditions applicable when using this service as noted here? https://www.skywifi.cloud/legal/privacy-policy/   How we may use your information

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

Is this the same Cloud which is owned by Sky or is it another provider using the same name?

Are users made fully aware of the Terms and Conditions applicable when using this service as noted here? https://www.skywifi.cloud/legal/privacy-policy/   How we may use your information

It's the same network, but Virgin Media customers using Virgin Media WiFi will be subject to the Virgin Media WiFi terms of service as they don't sign up for a Sky WiFi account, so the Sky privacy policy doesn't apply. The Virgin Media WiFi terms are here http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/virginmediawifiterms.html

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 47 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the clarification BenMcr.

From the provided link

Services available to Virgin Media Broadband and Virgin Mobile Subscribers

19. Existing Virgin Media broadband customers who have not opted out of the Virgin Media WiFi service and all Virgin Mobile customers will be able to access the services by configuring their device using their existing Virgin Media password to sign in to access the services. Mobile users can access the service by way of the Virgin Media WiFi application. This will use details from the Mobile SIM card to access to service.

20. Access to the services is included as part of a customer’s subscription to Virgin Media Residential broadband services and/or as part of a customer’s Virgin Mobile pay monthly contract or Pay As You Go contract.

As a Virgin Media residential broadband customer, your Super Hub must be opted in and the broadband service must be active. If your Super Hub has been set to modem-only mode or to 5Ghz-only mode, this Super Hub will be opted out of the service and you will no longer be able to access the Virgin Media WiFi service elsewhere.

21. Virgin Mobile Pay As You Go customers will require a valid ‘Your Account’ account and will have to have topped up at least £10 in the last 30 days in order to be able to access the services.

22. The service will be available until such time where WiFi connection is lost, until such time that you disconnect from the service or you are disconnected by Virgin Media. You will not be able to access the services if your account is in arrears or if your account has been classified as bad debt.

This seems to be in total contradiction to your posts #16 and #25 in this thread. Smiley Surprised

Your details and how they are looked after

23. By using the services you are providing your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the following purposes:

a) profiling your usage and viewing;

b) personalising your experience of the services based on your usage and viewing profile; and

c) improving and developing the service.

24. We will share with third parties information about your use of the services in an aggregated form which will not personally identify you. This aggregated data may be used by those third parties for their marketing purposes (e.g. to improve their targeting of advertising based on user preferences).

25. Subject to your consent, we may use your personal information to contact you with information about our products and services, special offers and rewards, as well as those of selected third parties. From time to time, we may contact you by mail, telephone, email, other electronic messaging services (such as text, voice, sound or image messages including using automated calling systems) or fax for these purposes.

According to clause 23 the mere use of the service implies consent has been given. How will informed consent be obtained from users?

26. We will only use your data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

27. We will not pass on your personal information to third parties except in accordance with this agreement or where we are required to disclose that information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements.

Thanks again.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 48 of 71
Flag for a moderator

if this system only works on mobiles and not laptops its pretty pointless. I have 4g on my mobile devices its my laptop i'd use or in this case now not use.

Pointless service. it wil be wifi nowhere to go with TV nowhere

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 49 of 71
Flag for a moderator

another sterling effort at writing T&C by Virgin.

I guess they had no one with the attention span to do the full set so 3 people did 10 bullets each happily contradicting each otherSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 50 of 71
Flag for a moderator

The terms will be updated to reflect the removal of the opt out restrictions, but those sections of the terms aren't enforced. So the opt out definitely doesn't stop the use of Virgin Media WiFi.

I can't comment on the other term question as it's outside of my knowledge.
0 Kudos