Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 31 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

@Sololobo wrote:

How annoying would it be If connecting to your own routers Wi-Fi hotspot provided a better service than when connected to your own SSID?

That would really give just cause for complaint.

that has to be worth a try Smiley Happy

unless these things create a self reinforcing mesh I cannot see how hotspot coverage can reach a typical street, unless its a row of gardenless terraced houses with the routers all in front street-side bedrooms, and no parked cars to block. 

like many others here, if I walk to the pavement, I am out of range of our ( back bedroom) hub. I can see a few nearby BT ones on a wifi scanner, is all.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 32 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@cybmole wrote:

unless these things create a self reinforcing mesh I cannot see how hotspot coverage can reach a typical street, unless its a row of gardenless terraced houses with the routers all in front street-side bedrooms, and no parked cars to block. 

like many others here, if I walk to the pavement, I am out of range of our ( back bedroom) hub. I can see a few nearby BT ones on a wifi scanner, is all.

Exactly, it is an impractical concept.  I think it is nothing more than a marketing PR exercise so that they can claim to offer the equivalent to BT's FON.  The fact that hardly anyone will use it because it is mostly unusable doesn't matter.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 33 of 71
Flag for a moderator

We should have a thread that says "Have you managed to connect to a VM wifi hot spot yet."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 34 of 71
Flag for a moderator

With respect, the letters were sent out ahead of time to give people advance warning.  The hotspots have yet to be switched on.  Except for the trial areas that were running beforehand.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 35 of 71
Flag for a moderator

VM's network...
VM's Equipment...
And using a wireless system they have a right to use (as with anyone using wifi)

Its not using your connection. So they dont really need permission they are not using your equipment or connection so just be happy you can opted out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 36 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
VM's network...
VM's Equipment...
And using a wireless system they have a right to use (as with anyone using wifi)

Its not using your connection. So they dont really need permission they are not using your equipment or connection so just be happy you can opted out Smiley Happy

They are using your electricity though ... an extra network doesn't power itself.   Smiley Wink

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 37 of 71
Flag for a moderator

wifi being on will use the same power if connected or now. you still have the option to then it off if you want to ave power but when its on it could just be a public AP without giving you the option.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 38 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I happen to live in a trial area and have been able to use this for the last month or so. It works very well picking up hotspots when out and about. Particularly in pubs where previously the only option was an open connection for a limited time i now get a secure connection without any input on my part.

As for use at home the system doesn't allow you to connect to the hotspot coming from your Hub3
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 39 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:
I happen to live in a trial area and have been able to use this for the last month or so. It works very well picking up hotspots when out and about. Particularly in pubs where previously the only option was an open connection for a limited time i now get a secure connection without any input on my part.

As for use at home the system doesn't allow you to connect to the hotspot coming from your Hub3

How does the Hub3 know if you are trying to connect one of your mobile devices to your own hotspot?

Is there a database somewhere of all your mobile devices MAC addresses, linked to your Hub3 account and somehow denying a connection?

Or is blocking achieved by comparing your account and logon details, configured in the Virgin Media WiFi app, against the particular Hub3 hotspot you are trying to connect to?

The blurb says: Once you’ve downloaded our Virgin Media WiFi app your new WiFi friend will automatically switch you from our mobile network to free WiFi whenever you’re near a hotspot, saving you mobile data and keeping you connected!

If you're near your own hotspot will you be informed that your device is now disconnected from the network of free hotspots, will you automatically be connected to your own SSID or will your device then be using your mobile data allowance until you log in to your own Hub3 network?

Just asking. Smiley Surprised

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 40 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

I don't understand this - you mean all the pubs you use have got VM hubs?    Mind you I don't understand why anyone's checking their phone if they're out at the pub but I think that might be just me.