Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 21 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

@Buffer6 wrote:

My last post here suddenly disappeared Smiley Indifferent 

probably because  a rant about booking an engineer  has nothing to do with the thread title: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 22 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@cbymole  If that were the case perhaps they could just delete the text and insert a reason for removing it Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
teabag
Community elder
Message 23 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Cybmole said:
"whoops I missed that. so it only works via a specific app that you have to install and sign into? & even if that's true, what stops me using my account to activate the app on my son's i-phone( he's a Sky customer) for him to use. Will there be device registration limits ?"

Nothing to stop you using your account details for your son's iPhone, with every Virgin Media account will be able to have upto 7 devices registered​, also to add on the 7 per account will be all the Virgin Mobile Sims - so in my household we could if we wanted too, have 10 devices logging on - 7 for our Virgin account and the 3 Virgin sims.

Myself, I'll stay opted in - when it starts in my area, unless I notice some impact on our own service.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 24 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Towards Bens post above, AFAIK and I read it somewhere on VM site.

The Trial and now rollout of this means you can only use others customers WIFI if you allow the same, you loose this if you OP OUT but again it will not effect the VM Cloud at KFC etc.

Would be kind of selfish if anyone expects otherwise and pointless to even implement as all many more would OP OUT.

I am not bothered if this has changed or I am wrong but I am sure I read it and was in the Trail (not asked to be) due to my area and having a SH2 at that time as that was only one being trailed.

I still have the original DL Config not the slightly higher new Config and have OPTED OUT, and there is no signal outside my home in any case not with a HUB3 no chance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media updated the rules before this rollout started. The Hub opt out now doesn't affect a Virgin Media broadband customer's ability to use Virgin Media WiFi on a compatible device.

But if people do opt out, they shouldn't able to ever complain about lack of coverage of Virgin Media WiFi if they then want to use it.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
jhuk
Super solver
Message 26 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for update but as you say kind of defeats the purpose, I have OPTED OUT but do not care to use others customers WIFI TBH and would be lucky to get a signal with a HUB3.

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 27 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I doubt that I will have any use for these hot spots as my mobile data allowance is plenty for my needs. I had intended to leave my Shub opted in provided it did not cause me any problems, however if people are going to opt out but then expect to use my Shub, I may reconsider.
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 28 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I'm really curious how it will work when on the odd occasion I have used wi-fi, if I move across the room the signal drops to poor - so how will the other signal be so much stronger to reach through several brick walls and across a front garden/pavement? 

If this is possible there should be a page to opt in to get the sooper dooper high strength signal for indoors too.  Smiley Happy

vircom
Super solver
Message 29 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I have to use a Powerline wireless access point to get a decent signal at the front of my property so doubt it will be of much use unless a visitor at the end of my neighbour's garden has Virgin, as I get a good signal in the back garden.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 30 of 71
Flag for a moderator

How annoying would it be If connecting to your own routers Wi-Fi hotspot provided a better service than when connected to your own SSID?

That would really give just cause for complaint.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos